60s Maestro Fuzz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60s Maestro Fuzz

Any transistors available in the USA that can replace a 2n2614 ??

Choos
    Attached Files

Comment

Sure lots can replace it. They are a cheap leaky transistor. Which version, i guess FZ1A? If you are trying to build the best replica, use RCA transistors from the same period. Chances are you won't find 2N2614, 2613 but i do know of a piece of electronic equipment that actually uses them. I can't give my secrets away though. You can find RCA 2N404, 406,408 in the tall package which should be close.

Comment

Yes Fz1A

Comment

If modern transistors aren't leaky enough can you parallel them with 10M or something ?

Comment

I've used low-leakage Ge transistors along with additional resistors to provide a leakage characteristic. I never did a side-by-side comparison, but my builds accurately replicated that early fuzz sound. Sadly, I never documented exactly what I did, but I think I may have a tagboard prototype in my FX graveyard somewhere which I'll try to find.

Comment

What does the leakage contribute sonicly .

Comment

Early Ge transistors varied considerably regarding leakage.
                Some effects units actually depend on leakage to provide transistor bias.
                With low leakage types leakage can be emulated by a large value resistor wired between collector and base.
                To get the desired sound it is essential to use resistors that give circuit voltages close to that of a good original unit.
                Last edited by Helmholtz; 03-03-2024, 11:41 PM.
                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Valvehead, I have some germanium PNPs I would sell u if you're interested. I don't have an exact 2N2614 (at least at a quick glance), but should have something that should work well. pm me if interested
                  If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Working...
                  X