EHX HOG ribbon cable repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EHX HOG ribbon cable repair

I got this HOG broken - looks like voltage regulator burned up.

the owner took it apart and I’m not sure the term of this ribbon cable but I think the loose wire has some kind of “cap” that goes over that ribbon cable and makes the PCB mounted socket with the teeth/grooves “bite” into the cable to make contact with the pins.

Does anyone know what I’m talking about/where can I buy the missing piece(s)?
    Attached Files

Looks like a pretty standard computer type ribbon cable, which you buy with the ends already installed.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

The side with the male plug attached is.

I’m not sure the other side is - the side for the ribbon cable with nothing on it.

looks like I’m missing a cap that goes over the ribbon cable and presses it into the teeth of the plug shown in the picture. I’m not sure what that plug type is called.

Comment

It's an IDC ribbon connector (IDC - Insulation Displacement Connector).

There's a special tool to assemble the connector, but I use a small bench vice. The missing piece is a strip of plastic that runs across the back of the cable and locates in the slots at each end of the body. The cable looks to be a standard pitch from the pictures.

Edit: what you have is more specifically an IDC PC header. You should be able to locate a compatible part to re-fit the cable. You'll need to carefully align the cable to use the original location and use a flat piece of wood or similar to apply even pressure. These cables are usually best when assembled just once with new parts and the old end of the cable trimmed off. Of course, to do this you'd need to unsolder the header, which risks lifting the pads, so probably best left as it is and refit the cable with the missing part.
        Last edited by Mick Bailey; 03-25-2024, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Yes. Just search "24 pin IDC connector". You'll find them easily. You'll likely have to buy the whole connector and take it apart, but they're cheap. In fact, I'd buy a few in case you mess one up trying to take it apart or install it.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

You need to match up the correct type; if you look at most, the bridge piece locates in open channels on the ends of the connector. This one has closed slots at each end.

Comment

Working...
            X