X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helping my brother

Fun with Computers
    That does not sound right.
    I quit fixing computers for other people 5 years ago.
    The Company I work for sent me to school I learned how to run a computer only on a floppy with about 10 programs on it 4 you will always need

You know as sone as you open up someone’s computer from then on until their house catches fire anything that goes wrong is your fault even their house burning down

How many times have you been working on someone’s computer and the power supply goes dead, come on raise you hands?

A long, long time ago 1963 when I was working my way thru High School as a Grease Monkey at the local garage if you changed a tire and their battery went dead that week it was your fault

MY TUBE AMP SITE

The "Fun with computers" is meant to be ironic. Any IT professional knows that working with them is about as much "fun" as pulling teeth.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

This is why I NEVER do residential, especially for clients.

The other thing I find very annoying, is people who think everything takes about 20 minutes. You do a whole proposal on a network build, present it along with an estimated time to complete and a flat bill quote. They complain when you bring it in under budget because they "thought it wasn't really going to take that much to do".

I have one client who will send me an email with an extesive list of what needs to be done. At the end of every email he says, "this should take about an hour and a half". Yeah, right!

Comment

Originally posted by Jag View Post
        "this should take about an hour and a half". Yeah, right!
        I replaced some over head light fixtures in the house a 5 minuet job right

I don't think I can put air in my tires in 5 minuets

Now them NASCAR boys

Comment

Yup, sounds like you've been there!!!

It takes nothing to turn on a computer and browse the Internet so how tough can it really be to make that network stuff work. Just buy the computers and plug them in and your good to go!

Comment

Originally posted by Jag View Post
            Yup, sounds like you've been there!!!

It takes nothing to turn on a computer and browse the Internet so how tough can it really be to make that network stuff work. Just buy the computers and plug them in and your good to go!
            Well, it is usually pretty easy to set up a small home network with Windows XP (I have not tried doing that with Vista yet). With Windows 98 and 2000, it was a total bear, and would usually take me about a week to get them working (and this was just 2 or 3 computers).

Of course, I'm sure that you are talking about setting up networks at a business, which is a whole different kettle of fish! At a company I worked for 20+ years ago, a consultant came in to computerize the office. He had to fiddle with things to get the network to work whenever it booted up so he told everyone to just leave their computers on 24 hours a day. Whenever we had a power outage he would have to come in to get the network going again...

Steve Ahola
            The Blue Guitar
            www.blueguitar.org
            Some recordings:
            https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Yeah, I was talking about setting up for a business.

I started in the consulting business almost 20 years ago. At that time there were so many "consultants" who didn't have a clue, most of them didn't even have common sense. I saw alot of networks where the "consultant solution" was similar to what you described. My approach, then and now, was "if it sounds stupid, it probably is". I would never have expected a client to accept that he would have to call me to get the network up again after a power outage, that's nuts.

Comment

Working...
              X