motherboard repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motherboard repair

Installing a sound card i accidentially broke off a Mini Electrolytic Capacitor on my motherboard. The computer boots and runs fine but i'd like to reinstall the capacitor. its a surface mount exactly like in this picture

i was thinking maybe a tiny bit of that conductive wire glue they sell? This thig is way to small to solder. plus the feet look like they rest on the motherboard, not go thru it.

Thanks

should work with a good silver epoxy. Soldering is a terror on MBs; careful not to F*up something else while "fixing" this, a VERY common event with MB's IME. (Its polarized so be sure of the original orientation!)

Comment

10uF, 16V? Perhaps replace with a small radial cap, so you can tack it onto the board more easily? Maybe? If you can bend it out of the way?

Just a thought.

Brad1

Comment

all fixed. i actually used wire glue. i used a tooth pick to put tiny little dabs on the feet, CAREFULLY put it back on the motherboard being sure polarity was mantained and let it dry overnight. done. thanks for the replies.

Comment

With the frequencies on modern motherboards (think current surges as those multi-million-transistor devices make a major state change), leads can be a problem.

Decoupling has become a hierarchy, and the 'lytics are the slowest, but the ESR and ESL do have to be accounted for.

Comment

Working...
          X