moving my web page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving my web page

ive had a web page with att for 10 years now. i enjoy sharing my cab drawings and pics of my amps. i get e mail all the time thanking me for the drawings. i just found out that att will no longer support web pages and i need to move it to another host. how do i do that?

Find another provider and upload your page just like you did at ATT.

I use 1&1 internet, it starts at about four bucks a month for ten gig of space. I use the seven buck a month package, and they give you all kinds of tools to build your website, although I don't use most of them. Plus you get a registered domain name of your choice.

I use Web Dwarf to build my website and all it's pages.
    Stop by my web page!

Comment

Originally posted by scole View Post
      ive had a web page with att for 10 years now. i enjoy sharing my cab drawings and pics of my amps. i get e mail all the time thanking me for the drawings. i just found out that att will no longer support web pages and i need to move it to another host. how do i do that?
      Do you have all of the files backed up in a single parent folder? I usually label that folder "HTML" and there may be folders in "HTML" labeled "IMAGES" or "DOCS" or whatever.

It has been several years since I had my 5 AT&T webpages- can you access your files through an FTP client or do you have to upload them through a web based application? If AT&T supports FTP file transfers you can select all of your files and then download them to a folder in your computer. When you find another web host you can then upload that whole folder and your web site will be back.

Or was your question about finding another host for your web site?

Steve Ahola

P.S. If your site just contains pictures you might want to look into sites like photobucket that will host them for free. But they do cut the resolution down.

P.P.S. If you are looking for a new host (yikes! that sounds like something out of a vampire movie) I recommend TMX Web Hosting which is run by a fellow forumite, Bob S. They start at $5.99 a month which includes 350MB of space. If you run out you could always upload some of your pix to Photobucket.

TMX Web Services - Web Hosting

Regis:

Is there any FTP client that you would recommend? I've been using FTP Explorer Ver 1.0 with copyright dates of 1995-97! I love it but I'm not sure that I would recommend something so old...

Steve
      The Blue Guitar
      www.blueguitar.org
      Some recordings:
      https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Steve,

Before you do any of this,
        BACK UP YOUR WHOLE WEB SITE TO DISK OR DVD.
        It's easy to lose things in a hosting shuffle.
        Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Is there any FTP client that you would recommend? I've been using FTP Explorer Ver 1.0 with copyright dates of 1995-97! I love it but I'm not sure that I would recommend something so old...
          Steve, I use the FTP function in Internet Explorer 7. The older IE had it too. You just enter the "FTP://xxxxxxxxx" (or whatever) given to you by your provider and then it will ask for your id and password. Then you can open an Explorer window just like in Windows, and drag and drop your files from a folder on your computer to your server. It's really easy.

The Web Dwarf Web page builder I use has an FTP function I've used a few times but the IE FTP function is really easy and that's what I use mostly.

I googled "FTP software freeware" and got like a bazillion hits.

RG, I suspect the OP built his site using ATT's online software, maybe he can confirm. If so, he can save the site using the "Save As" from the file menu on IE, or whatever is similar on whatever browser he uses. Then he can upload it somewhere else.

Regis
          Stop by my web page!

Comment

for now i need to back up the page, my question is can i move the whole page to my computer or do i have to move the files one at a time?

Comment

for now i need to back up the page, my question is can i move the whole page to my computer or do i have to move the files one at a time?
              What browser do you use?
              Stop by my web page!

Comment

msn

Comment

Grab a cup of coffee or three, sit down to call AT&T and explain what you need to do. You will normally spend a lot of time waiting on hold but once you have reached an agent they are there until your problem is resolved (they may pass it on to the next higher tier of customer service- I got to the 3rd tier last summer trying to add a computer to a friend's network). Be sure to insist that they help you solve this problem because they are the ones who are the web sites.

There should be an option *somewhere* that will allow you to back up your entire website (minus the proprietary pages) onto your local hard drive.

If for some reason you do not have that option there are "site grabber" utilities which will snag all of the files on a website that it can access. I would trust that with my data files but I suggest that you personally back up your HTM files (which are what create your web pages).

Good luck and keep us updated.

Steve Ahola
                  The Blue Guitar
                  www.blueguitar.org
                  Some recordings:

Comment

Originally posted by Regis View Post
                    Steve, I use the FTP function in Internet Explorer 7. The older IE had it too. You just enter the "FTP://xxxxxxxxx" (or whatever) given to you by your provider and then it will ask for your id and password..."
                    Thanks! I did switch from Internet Exploder to FireFly but I guess that should have that feature as well.

Steve

P.S. The FTP features in some of those webpage builder programs can be handy because they will upload just the files that have changed. If they are going into different folders it makes things a lot easier.
                    The Blue Guitar
                    www.blueguitar.org
                    Some recordings:

Comment

i have all of the pics and files on my computer and on backup, so i can do another page. its just that i had that page for almost ten years.

Comment

i have all of the pics and files on my computer and on backup, so i can do another page. its just that i had that page for almost ten years.
                        So you do have all of the HTM files that create the webpages? Like "index.htm" and other filenames that I can't recall right now.

And the pics, etc., are in the folders where they are supposed to according to what is coded in the HTM files?

Then you are ready to rock! You might want to try out one of the free services first- upload all of your files there and see how it works out. And if that seems to have all of the features you need you might skip moving to a premium account.

Good luck!

Steve
                        The Blue Guitar
                        www.blueguitar.org
                        Some recordings:

Comment

an alright free domain
                          http://www.000webhost.com/

not bad if you dont want to pay anything

Comment

Originally posted by mitchb_199 View Post
                            an alright free domain
                            http://www.000webhost.com/

not bad if you dont want to pay anything
                            Actually I was looking for a webhost who would pay *ME*...

Just kidding- thanks for the suggestion! (There are so many sharks out there.)

Steve
                            The Blue Guitar
                            www.blueguitar.org
                            Some recordings:

Comment

Thanks you for sharing. I found this thread very helpful because I'm going through the same process.

~ Sam
                              [SIZE="1"][url=http://bookit.com/caribbean/jamaica/]negril hotels[/url]|[URL="http://bookit.com/mexico/cancun/"]cancun hotels[/URL][/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
                              X