Can't view this forum at work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't view this forum at work

My day job's IT dept has locked down internet access so much that I can't view this great forum on my lunch hour. They have blocked it.

Is there a website that I can use that masks a forum's contents and makes it look like I'm viewing a vendor site i.e. mouser.com or digiley.com etc...?

Why don't you just ask the IT guys nicely to allow a site or two...for use only on your lunch hour.

Not like they won't know if you use it at other times, or that you are trying to fool them, either of which could possibly put you in violation of company policy. Have you tried to find a job in the past year? Ain't none.

Better safe than sorry?

Brad1

Comment

Originally posted by cjlectronics View Post
      My day job's IT dept has locked down internet access so much that I can't view this great forum on my lunch hour. They have blocked it.

Is there a website that I can use that masks a forum's contents and makes it look like I'm viewing a vendor site i.e. mouser.com or digiley.com etc...?
      Your question suggests an invention brewing in the ol' coffee pot: since most people are using flat panel displays these days which often have a limited viewing angle, how about a film that you would apply to your monitor so that from an angle it would look like you were running Lotus 1-2-3... er, better make that Microsoft Excel! While that might fool your boss it would not fool the omniscient IT department, who sees all and knows all.

Back in the old days computer games often came with a "boss key"- typically F10- that you would hit if someone was walking in which would change your display to that of Lotus 1-2-3.

So does everybody leisurely browse the internet at work these days- "doncha have something to do?"

While Black Friday has traditionally been the biggest day for retail sales at the brick'n'mortar stores, the Monday after Thanksgiving has usually been the biggest day for online sales because everyone is back at work. Well, nowadays that would just be the 82% of the work force who are not on unemployment.

If you go to a job site you usually don't find the carpenters and plumbers casually browsing the internet when they are supposed to be working...

Steve Ahola
      The Blue Guitar
      www.blueguitar.org
      Some recordings:
      https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

I just landed this job after being unemployed for 6 months. The new guy asking to have access to a website unrelated to work probably doesn't look good. Plus, I've heard stories of others abusing the system and this is the reason for the lockdown. Now, in the companies defense, they do allow us to check our personal email as long as you don't abuse it.

Great idea Steve, I remember the F10 days. The screen overlay is interesting but you're right IT can view the history of every computer on their network. I want something that makes it look like I am surfing Mouser, Digikey or something work related.

I promise I won't abuse it as I just want to check this forum while I eat left overs at my desk.

Comment

Originally posted by cjlectronics View Post
          I just landed this job after being unemployed for 6 months. The new guy asking to have access to a website unrelated to work probably doesn't look good. Plus, I've heard stories of others abusing the system and this is the reason for the lockdown. Now, in the companies defense, they do allow us to check our personal email as long as you don't abuse it.

Great idea Steve, I remember the F10 days. The screen overlay is interesting but you're right IT can view the history of every computer on their network. I want something that makes it look like I am surfing Mouser, Digikey or something work related.

I promise I won't abuse it as I just want to check this forum while I eat left overs at my desk.
          There is a really cool new product that I just heard about- it is called an "iPhone" (as goofy as that may sound). It's like a computer which can access the internet but it fits in your shirt pocket and makes phone calls, too! I tried Googling the name but nothing came up...

Steve Ahola
          Last edited by Steve A.; 05-01-2010, 07:34 PM.
          The Blue Guitar
          www.blueguitar.org
          Some recordings:

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
            If you go to a job site you usually don't find the carpenters and plumbers casually browsing the internet when they are supposed to be working...
            I did HVAC work for many years and went into countless offices to service and repair their heaters and air conditioners. Before Al Gore invented the internet a typical office might have 4 women, two who seemed to be working while the other two would be gossiping the whole time I was there. Well, maybe not actually gossiping in the bad sense of the word but having a personal conversation unrelated to their job.

Since the WWW exploded in the mid 90's quite often you will find 1 or 2 of them browsing the internet, checking their personal email, and shopping while at work. While the other two are still gossiping.

And people wonder why our economy went to hell in a handbasket...

Steve Ahola
            The Blue Guitar
            www.blueguitar.org
            Some recordings:

Comment

Speaking of Boss Keys...

... I just ran across a music forum site with 3 different Boss keys:

12bar Blues Guitar Forum • Index page

Steve Ahola

I just landed this job after being unemployed for 6 months. The new guy asking to have access to a website unrelated to work probably doesn't look good.
              I agree- I think that you should first ask for a big raise and an office with a view!
              Last edited by Steve A.; 05-02-2010, 07:02 AM.
              The Blue Guitar
              www.blueguitar.org
              Some recordings:

Comment

Working...
              X