Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I finally figured out my computer problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I finally figured out my computer problem...

I guess I hadn't posted this here but I was still having problems with my computer- whenever I'd do CPU-intensive stuff, the computer would shut down instantly and not reboot until I pushed the power switch (something I don't usually do because I have it hooked up to a power switch).

Funny thing is that it would do this if I was ripping cds and encoding them to FLAC, or converting FLAC files to MP3, or even fixing Sector Boundary Errors with Trader's Little Helper. I thought that maybe some of these programs were a bit buggy, but a Google search turned up nothing. So why would every single audio conversion utility cause my computer to shutdown? To make things even stranger, my old computer was doing the same thing before I built a new one in January.

Okay- here is what I finally figured out. In CMOS setup I noticed that my CPU was running about 100 degrees Centigrade without any load- as I recall my older computers ran about 50 degrees Centrigrade. I went down to Fry's and the salesman confirmed that was way too hot- when I bought the mobo, Cpu and RAM in January it was suggested that I get the $30 CPU cooler, but No-o-o! I decided to save a few bucks and get the $20 one. Seems like that one was definitely substandard for a Duo Core Pentium E6300. They had some HUGE ones for $50 but I really wasn't sure if it would fit in the computer case. So I got the $30 one and after cussing for a good half hour I finally got it installed. (The cheaper cooler didn't come with instructions for setting those big plastic screws, which can be a real bear!)

So with the new CPU cooler my CPU is running about 45 degrees Centrigrade and I think that I've *finally* got all of the bugs on this computer worked out so its time to scrap it and build another.

Steve Ahola
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

100 degrees centrigrade--isn't that REALLY hot? Yikes, lol... I've found the cheap sink/fan that comes with CPUs seem to work fine in terms of reliability and longevity but are very noisy (high-pitched whine). I have a Scythe Ninja plus (around USD35?), and that is a lot quieter by far but I had to use the (southbridge?) heatsink from an older board since that one was smaller and the new one got in the way. Another heat source besides the CPU is hard drives, esp. if you have a number of them. So I guess you have to pay attention to the heat if you run apps that tax the system and push it to its limits.

Comment

Originally posted by dai h. View Post
      100 degrees centrigrade--isn't that REALLY hot? Yikes, lol... I've found the cheap sink/fan that comes with CPUs seem to work fine in terms of reliability and longevity but are very noisy (high-pitched whine). I have a Scythe Ninja plus (around USD35?), and that is a lot quieter by far but I had to use the (southbridge?) heatsink from an older board since that one was smaller and the new one got in the way. Another heat source besides the CPU is hard drives, esp. if you have a number of them. So I guess you have to pay attention to the heat if you run apps that tax the system and push it to its limits.
      Yep, that's the boiling point of water. I guess the new Duo CPU's need a lot of cooling. My older coolers were just like a copper coin secured to the bottom of the fins with a fan on top. The new ones use heat pipes to transfer the heat up to the fins, with nothing blocking the air flow. I dunno, maybe the old crappy cooler fan wasn't turning fast enough (the $30 upgraded one uses a 4 pin connector and has a variable speed fan- you can plug an older 3 pin fan onto the mobo, only the fan will run at a fixed speed). BTW the Intel CPU came bare with no fan- it's probably a good idea to pay more for the fan that Intel recommends for the chip...

I haven't put the sides back on the case from when I rebuilt it in January- on one hand there is good air flow but on the other hand I have to keep blowing the dust off.

Thanks!

Steve Ahola
      The Blue Guitar
      www.blueguitar.org
      Some recordings:
      https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Working...
      X