X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hackintosh

Anybody else tried it? I'm about to.
    -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Never tried it (since I run a Mac) and didn't know it existed before now, but I think it's kind of exciting & cool to think people would/could do it!

Having a lot of virus problems lately?

I wonder if the system software would help immunize or if loopholes & exploits based on the actual hardware would still be a problem...

Comment

Same here, I thought about it and ended up buying a Mac. And an iPhone (spare me the flames, Android fans!)

I'm not up to date with the latest trends in Hackintoshing, but I guess Apple will break your system with updates now and again. After all, they only test them on their own hardware.

I'd also expect trouble with the graphics drivers, since again, Apple only include drivers for whatever GPUs they put in their Macs. I suspect most Hackintosh users end up running with a generic framebuffer driver that lacks any hardware acceleration.
      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

My image of Hackintoshing is the guy who spends hours and hours running down hacked drivers so he can run Lion on an AMD box BUT doesn't have printers, bluetooth or USB work. It seems a royal PITA although there are supposedly turnkey dual boot systems to be had...

People who want Macs usually want EASY, and Hackintosh isn't typically, (Linux dweebs may do it just for the CHALLENGE though!)

Comment

I had my cheap $300 emachines laptop running OSX Lion for a bit, but I prefer windows. It was way easier than I thought it would be. It is far easier if you know that you want to run hackintosh to buy a computer with known working parts / drivers. There are some great threads and websites devoted to just this.

I was able to get everything to run properly except the battery life was almost half as short as with windows or linux, which is not acceptable on a laptop. It was fun to mess around with though. Good luck.
          My Builds:
          5E3 Deluxe Build
          5F1 Champ Build
          6G15 Reverb Unit Build

Comment

The trackpad is one of the best things about a Mac. Otherwise, it's a polished up Linux distro.
            In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

Works on vmware, but may or may not work on a pc because of driver issues.

Comment

Working...
              X