Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading to Windows 8

Hello all,

I have a HP laptop running Vista I'm using as a portable recording studio that I want to upgrade to Win 8.

How hard is this? Have anyone tried this yet?

thank you,
    ken
    www.angeltone.com

If it was me I would downgrade to WinXP (after first obtaining all of the drivers necessary for your computer.) I don't like Vista and Windows 7 so I have a hunch that I would hate Windows 8. Since you are using your laptop as a portable recording studio if it is working okay I would leave it alone- what do you expect to gain with the upgrade?

But to answer your question I think that you should first check with HP to see if an upgrade to Windows 8 is available for your particular laptop.

Steve Ahola
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
      Hello all,

I have a HP laptop running Vista I'm using as a portable recording studio that I want to upgrade to Win 8.

How hard is this? Have anyone tried this yet?

thank you,
      ken
      If it were mine I would leave it as is, or load linux on it.
      Also just buy another laptop.
      I was looking at a pretty nice HP Laptop with Win 8 on it last night for $248, at Wally World.
      Your rig may not be compatible or have enough ram to run the win 8.
      I bought a Lenovo N586 at Best buy 2 weeks ago with win 7 on it, it was $369.
      500 gig HD, and a AMD vision CPU.
      Win 8 had just come out, and too much reventing the wheel to do the same things to suit me.
      Right now I have the hard drive out of it running Linux Mint 13, loaded on a 32gb USB flash drive.
      The Mint 13 runs circles around the windows IMO, very fast.
      Good Luck,
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

As a general rule new operating systems don't play nice with audio recording software. You may find it's ideal to stick with XP or Windows 7 for recording.

Have you tried Reaper? It runs great on Windows XP and many people have made the switch.

jamie

Comment

I just built a powerfull machine for my Wifes PC and we put windows 8 on it. I dont like it, I liked Windows 7 better, Windows 8 is basically windows 7 with a tablet style front page.
          +1 on the Windows XP, I loved windows XP. it was great. Vista was just a fund raiser to make windows 7. and windows 8 is basically this generation's Windows Me.

Comment

windows 7 is the best one so far. as for win8, I haven't seen it, but I dont like the idea of combining mobile and pc platform features into a single os.

Comment

I have upgraded from 7 to 8 with no issues. I do recommend a clean install.

Comment

Working...
              X