Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CADware for Mac?

Hey, Y'all -

I have this G4 iBook that I'm really happy using, and a linux box with a 14" CRT that I'm not so happy using.

What I'm after is a free/cheap CAD package suitable for schematics, or some help configuring my Mac's firewall. I've tried Osmond, Eagle, TurboCad and McCAD running on the Mac and not been too pleased.

I've got Fink running on the Mac, and have tried to install gEDA and xcircuit to non avail.

gEDA runs, sort of, on the linux box (it's mostly a server), but the room is too crowded to let me move the CRT to a more comfortable position, so one idea is to persuade gEDA to run on that box, but use the Mac's Xwindows setup as a display. Some help with the firewall and the X11 setups on both ends would make me reasonably happy.

Any suggestions?

Originally posted by Don Symes View Post
    Hey, Y'all -
    I have this G4 iBook that I'm really happy using, and a linux box with a 14" CRT that I'm not so happy using.
    I don't have any Mac experience. Is your Mac a dual boot (can it boot in win-doze)?

If so, then IntelliCAD by Cadopia is a good package. I'm still running their pre-release shareware version from 2001.

While it's the slightest bit buggy (memory leaks, occasional failure to snap to position, etc.), it's not bad enough to prompt me to jump to the current version.

Their current products have a 30 day trial period. Even my 5 year old version is very close to full compatibility with AutoCAD at a fraction of the price. IIRC, it goes for $200). I've even e-mailed the old version's DWG files to my machinist and he's been able to open them in his software.

For schematics (again for Win-doze), you can download the free design software from PCB Express. There are two different (and interrelated) packages - the schematic drawing package and the PCB design package. I have a series of custom tube symbols for this package if anyone is interested.

Cheers,
    Thom
    | sigpic Galibier Design
    | ... crafting technology in service of music
    |
    http://www.galibierdesign.com/
    |__________________________________________

Comment

Thanks, Thom, but it's a G4 (PowerPC) Mac, not an intel (x86).

Comment

I run Virtual PC every now and then on my G4. That might be an option. Microsoft has discontinued it, since it's not needed on the Intel Macs, so you might find it cheap. It seems to work best (speed wise) with Windows 2000.

Have you tried Cadintosh?

I downloaded it once to look at some drawings... but I don't know much about CAD software. The same guy makes GraphicConverter, which is quite good.

A buddy of mine runs MiniCAD, which he thinks is much better than AutoCAD. I'm sure it's not cheap though. I think it's called VectorWorks now.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

MiniCad/Vector Works

I have used this program for years because I'm a dedicated Mac user and years ago there was little else. I can't really compare it with autocad because of my lack of experience but people tell me Vector Works is more user friendly. No surprise. It is expensive but you don't need the latest version unless you're an architect (for whom it is primarily intended).

Anyway it does my stuff fine.

Comment

Working...
          X