Nook Tablet/Nook Color charging cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nook Tablet/Nook Color charging cables

I'm posting this here so it will show up in Google searches (and the devices are computers.)

The charging cables for the Nook Color and the Nook Tablet are NOT regular USB cables. These Nooks require a higher charging current than is available through the USB bus so the cables include 2 additional leads which provide the higher charging current. The micro-USB connector that plugs into the device is longer than the standard micro USB connector to accommodate the two extra contacts.

The extra-long micro USB connectors are the weak link of the charging cable and I have already had to replace the cables twice because those connectors broke. The first sign of a failing connector is that it will wobble up and down. At this point you need to reinforce that connector so that it doesn't break off completely; a careful application of a strong two-part epoxy can extend the life of the cable. (I would recommend doing that with brand new cables to ensure a long life- especially since the replacement cables cost $14.95!)

Speaking of the Nook Color I bought one in March 2010 because it could be "rooted" thus turning it into an actual Android 2.3 tablet. At the time they were selling for $250 which was considerably less than the iPad or Android tablets. I have seen them on sale recently for as low as $100. They are made very well, however one of the drawbacks is that the built-in speakers are not very loud- it was sold as an eBook reader, not an Android tablet. So if you are going to watch videos or listen to music you really need to use earbuds- or plug it into a stereo or powered speaker. The CPU isn't particularly fast by current standards and the included RAM is minimal but it does take micro SDHC cards up to 32GB. The SDHC holder is very clever- it is concealed by the notched cutout in the lower left corner that looks like you could clip it to a carabiner hook when you go rock climbing.

Steve Ahola

P.S. I "rooted" my Nook Color replacing the very limited version of the Android OS by the CyanogenMod 7 version on 2.3.
    Attached Files
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/
Working...
X