XP-Users, check this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP-Users, check this?

Here's a solution for XP, with added security.
    Robolinux Stealth VM Software For Linux Mint
    You can have Your Kate, and Edith too!
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Sounds very interesting! So is there something similar available for Ubuntu, which seems to be more popular than Mint
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
      Sounds very interesting! So is there something similar available for Ubuntu, which seems to be more popular than Mint
      I don't know.
      Mint is the number one Linux and gets nearly twice the hits per day over any other Linux.
      Look half way down the page on the right side and it lists the top 100 Linux Distros.
      DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.
      Mint has been #1 since 2010.
      It is my pick, but use whatever you like.
      T
      **http://www.itworld.com/open-source/3...desktop-distro
      Last edited by big_teee; 04-03-2014, 11:58 PM.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

So why is everything Ubuntu this or Unbuntu that? Just wondering...
        The Blue Guitar
        www.blueguitar.org
        Some recordings:

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
          So why is everything Ubuntu this or Unbuntu that? Just wondering...
          Ubuntu was the most popular distro for several years and made Linux much more mainstream...but over time they made various changes that put quite a few users off (too many to list here) including the Unity interface which many (including me) have an intense dislike for. Mint is based on Ubuntu (which is in turn based on Debian) and has a simpler interface like Ubuntu did in years past...but FWIW there is an XFCE version of Ubuntu called Xubuntu that also has a simple, clean interface. I used Ubuntu myself for years but now have Mint XFCE on one machine and Xubuntu on another. But in general picking a distro is a matter of personal preference, there are a LOT of them and all the major ones have serious fans and lots of online support via forums...i.e. Arch, Manjaro, Fedora, Open Suse, SolydXK, Ubuntu, Mint, etc... If you want to test drive Linux distros it is easy to do on a PC or Mac using free Virtualbox software.

Comment

Ubuntu was Number one for a long time.
            Until they Came out with the Unity Desktop.
            That is the desktop with the bar and buttons on the Left side.
            That is when they lost out, No-one much likes the Unity desktop.
            Ubuntu is built on Debian.
            In the Ubuntu's there are 5 versions, all controlled by the Ubuntu Group, or Team.
            They are,
            Ubuntu - Unity Desktop
            Ubuntu KDE, or Kubuntu Desktop
            Ubuntu Gnome or Gubuntu Desktop
            Ubuntu XFCE or Xubuntu Desktop
            Ubuntu LDXE or Lubuntu Desktop
            Mint is based on Ubuntu, but has more of the classic Win98, or XP looking Desktop.
            Mint is not part of the Ubuntu Group, but is its own inity, and a separte Distribution.
            They all use the same Debian Package Management Console Command line Messages.
            All of the Ubuntu based systems run on the same code, but It is all about the desktop.
            So that is a little history of where and why Ubuntu lost out to Mint.
            It is IMO, all about the Desktop!
            I currently run Mint, Xubuntu, Gubuntu, and Kubuntu, on my various Laptops.
            But, No Ubuntu with Unity Desktop.
            Of the Ubuntu group of Distros, my Favorite is Xubuntu, with the Xfce Desktop.
            Overall, My Favorite of all the Ubuntu based builds is Mint with the Mate Desktop.
            GL,
            T
            Last edited by big_teee; 04-08-2014, 05:34 PM.
            Terry

Comment

Robolinux is available for Ubuntu according to this page. Welcome to RoboLinux. I just installed Mint yesterday (dual boot) and so far I don't see any reason to try robolinux, or boot to Windows. Mint is very much like windows, and runs everything I use except the AOL browser. So now I'm getting used to Firefox, and rebuilding my favorites list. Mint found my wireless router and printer, loaded pictures from my camera, and opens pdf files. So far, so good.
              Vote like your future depends on it.

Comment

Here is the latest Version of Robolinux for running Windows as a guest.
                Distribution Release: Robolinux 7.5.2 (DistroWatch.com News)
                Terry

Comment

heheh Linux dweeds..

your god works in Beaverton...

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
                    heheh Linux dweeds..

your god works in Beaverton...
                    What in the heck does that mean?
                    And Where in the heck is PDX, when I search for PDX I get Portland International Airport.
                    Do you live in the Airport?
                    T
                    Last edited by big_teee; 05-21-2014, 10:14 PM.
                    Terry

Comment

just poking the Penguin...Linus Torvald works in Beaverton and lives near PDX (which can serve as a shorthand for the city the airport is in, except for CVG which isn't even in the same state as the city its named for...)

He used to tool around in a yellow AMG Mercedes SLK 32

I do work right near the airport...

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
                        heheh Linux dweeds..
                        No dweebs here but the internet is crawling with the darned vermin. Their posts almost always include code fragments and very knowing grins.

I deal with them on the forums for reprogramming Android devices- I usually can't understand a word that they say. And when they talk in plain English they make assumptions on the knowledge of the readers. Like "just flash the new ROM- duh!" I have questions like is that using the stock recovery or CWM or TWRP? Do I need the file to be on a bootable SD card or will a regularly formatted one work?

Fortunately there are some members of forums like XDA and FreakTab who translate all of the Linux/Android bullshit into simple instructions that can be followed by mere humans with a very basic knowledge of Android tablets.

I am amazed at how the Android dweebs can write custom ROMs for their Android devices but I prefer it when they do speak or write in English.

Steve A.
                        Last edited by Steve A.; 05-22-2014, 02:52 AM.
                        The Blue Guitar
                        www.blueguitar.org
                        Some recordings:

Comment

Aw, I thought there were really dweeds (and I don't mean O'Dweeds either) .
                          Originally posted by Enzo
                          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

It's dweebs, not dweeds.
                            I invented the word, so I should know.

Comment

Originally posted by soundguruman View Post
                              It's dweebs, not dweeds.
                              I invented the word, so I should know.
                              I guess that was after the seventh day, when you rested?
                              Originally posted by Enzo
                              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                              X