Dell SODIMM upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell SODIMM upgrade

I have an old Dell Inspiron 1525 with 2 gigs of RAM. It takes forever to load windows, and looks to low on memory quite a bit. I have done everything I know how to streamline this thing without actually reinstalling Windows 7, which I don't seem to have a disc for. My online searches have pointed to 2 gigs of RAM as being on the low side, and typically my Task Manager shows that around 50 - 80% or more is in use depending on what I'm doing.

SO, I'd like to upgrade my RAM to the maximum 4 gigs this machine is rated for. Manual calls for 667MHz DDR2 SODIMM, and I have two slots and a dual core processor. Of course Dell wants to sell me their "certified RAM" for about $70 + shipping. As I look around, I see all different sorts of choices that look like might work, however I get lost with all the extra specs attached. All I want to do is speed up a 7 y.o. laptop, and postpone having to buy a new one for a bit as I just relocated and am already spending for big purchases enough for now.

So, what can I get away with here, and is there any market for the two 1 gig DIMMs I will be taking out of this machine?
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

If Windows 7 'takes forever to load', I don't think that is a ram issue.
    My better half has the exact same computer running Vista Home 64 bit.
    It is surprisingly zippy.

You have to keep in mind that the dual core is rated at 2 Gig.
    But it is basically a 1 gig processor.
    That, more than anything else, will slow things down.
    4 Gig of ram will not cure that.

As a side note: Since Vista, you can plug in a ram stick & Windows will 'use' that as ram.

RAM: New 4GB 2x2GB PC2 5300 DDR2 667MHz DDR2 200pin SODIMM Laptop Memory RAM | eBay

4GB 2X 2GB DDR2 SODIMM PC5300 PC2 667 MHz Laptop Memory 667MHz 200 Pin RAM | eBay

Comment

I also doubt that 2GB is an issue. (Since you mention the PC being 7 years old) I would suspect the power supply and mobo caps are worn out. In computers, it seems the power supply, CPU area caps, and memory caps are taxed a lot. Plus I also suspect that in a lot of regular consumer PCs, the caps used for the power supply are not the best (high temp, long-life) that could be used (maybe basically a cost issue, with the consumer not wanting to pay maybe being part of the problem).

Comment

Hmm.. It did used to run faster, and I have tried to slim it down to as lean and mean as I can. So, the worn out caps theory starts to make sense. And the CPU fan gets up and blazes fast sometimes for no apparent reason, and when I look at the Task Manager, I see nothing obvious. I thought throwing some RAM at it would help, but I don't understand what PC5300, PC2 etc means. But maybe I will wait and upgrade to a new machine after all.

Comment

Has the laptop ever been serviced?

There are a few common items that should be addressed on a 7 year old unit.

A good cleaning never hurt.
          While in there you can verify the health of the power supply.

Also, if Win 7 seems to load slow, that could be resolved by a reload. (which you do not have!)
          The 'tweaking' may have caused harm to the OS.

Comment

Jazz, you make some good points. I did just do a good cleaning, including DeOxit all of the RAM and CPU pins, as well as replacing the old hard heat sink grease. I don't think I've done anything to the OS, just clearing out whatever installed programs and such I don't need. I have run a registry cleaner a few times as well, I wonder if that was a good idea. I'm not even sure how one would go about checking the health of a laptop PS, short of taking some voltage readings.

Comment

Before giving your laptop the heave-ho try plugging in a "live" Linux CD/DVD (or flash drive if you can boot from it.) If it seems to run Linux fine then the problem is probably with your Windows installation.

Check out the support page for information on your laptop- it might have a hidden drive containing the Windows 7 installation program. If there is no hidden drive the mfg might be able to provide a downloadable ISO file of the Windows install disc at a reasonable price. (It used be like $30 plus s/h for replacement discs and probably still is. )

Windows tends to bog down over the years and it usually a good idea to reinstall it whenever your computer gets really slow. But before doing anything as critical as that I would first make an image file of your hard drive with a program such as Acronis, which would allow you to restore your laptop to the current state if your efforts make things worse.

With my desktop computers when they got really slow or would not boot properly I would buy a new hard drive and install Windows on that- putting the old boot drive in an enclosure so that I could access needed files or drivers from it.

Microsoft has announced that Windows 10 will be released around October and that they will be offering free upgrades to registered owners of previous versions.

Steve Ahola

P.S. The fan running a lot usually indicates that the computer has been overheating- like from a CPU heatsink clogged with dust. If it got hot enough it might have damaged the CPU or temperature sensor.
              The Blue Guitar
              www.blueguitar.org
              Some recordings:
              https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Working...
              X