No announcement yet.

Wanna throw my PC IN A FIRE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have a dual boot system I wouldn't run windows programs on linux, I would do that on win10.
    I strictly use Linux, so I don't need or use wine.
    The linux programs are found on the GUI Software manager, found under the start menu.
    If you have a particular thing you want to do, maybe one of us can suggest a linux program.
    GL,
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

I'd like to be able to access newsgroups on UseNet. Good Linux program for that?

Comment

The firefox browser has a lot of news add-ons, maybe that would work.
        I use breaking news website a lot.
        Breaking news, latest news, and current events - breakingnews.com
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          OK< I am a dinosaur. I use Windows right out of the box, and whatever Internet Explorer is relatively current. I am on Windows 7 I think. I use Chrome at work a lot, for no real reason. But I often see guys going on about Linux, and so often, "OH, just load Linux into it and don't look back." Sounds simple.

In my head, I have a scenario: someone writes in with an amp acting up, and he says he knows where he can borrow an ohmage meter. And I envision someone saying, "Oh, just draw up load lines for your tubes and don't look back." As if that meant anything to the OP.

So is switching to Linux as simple as downloading a file, and never looking back? Or is this going to be a week of changing file attributes and other stuff? "Oh, well of course you have to partition the hard drive..." is not much help to a dinosaur. So realistically, is this a turnkey thing, or does this assume some prior knowledge? Like it is one thing to instruct a guy to swap out a bad transistor in a SS amp, versus telling him to just ditch the circuit and build a 3886 circuit in its place. The latter assumes certain skills and knowledge
          It can be a learning curve.
          If all you want is a GUI based system, for web surfing, office docs, spreadsheets, looking at pics, video clips, etc., Then Linux is no sweat.
          Where a windows converting user is usually at a loss, is dependencies on particular windows programs.
          If you have to have a particular recording program, or a certain patented, or non free program, then stick with windows, is what I recommend.
          I ran Unix based bell system processors in my previous life, so linux comes easy for me.
          I do, and choose to use a lot of command line, but there are GUI alternatives to most of what I do.
          If you have problems with linux, as lowell said, it usually turns into a console command line affair.
          What I really do like about linux, it is open source and everything is free, and it seems to be very immuned to viruses.
          Linux Mint is top drawer, and is the most user friendly, and pretty much everything works.
          Burning and loading a live DVD is the easiest way to tell if linux will load and work on your computer.
          Use the live DVD or Live USB stick to assess it, and see what you think of it.
          You can check out your network devices, and make sure everything works.
          Did I mention it's free and doesn't cost anything to try it?
          T
          Last edited by big_teee; 09-26-2015, 06:09 PM.
          Terry

Comment

I was thinking itd be good for Usenet because I think i got my virus on windows from usenet.

Comment

Not familiar with usenet.
              What is the web address or where can I see what it does?
              BTW which version desktop did you install?
              Cinnamon, Mate, XFCE, KDE?
              Here's a mint mirror site I use a lot.
              It is a german site, but the linux supports english.
              LinuxMint.de - Aktuellste und archivierte Versionen der bekannten Linux Distribution
              T
              Terry

Comment

Usenet is the "old" internet. Not regulated. Lots of good info can be found on there. I download a lot of my tv shows from it. If I'm behind on a season that is currently airing on cable I can usually grab the episodes Ive missed no problem.

Comment

You're on your own on that one.
                  I don't know anything about it.
                  GL,
                  T
                  Last edited by big_teee; 09-26-2015, 05:27 AM.
                  Terry

Comment

I'd only go on Usnet on Tor behind a heavy firewall! There be Dragons there...

If you're even slightly adventurous an internet only computer with zero precious files stored on it is an extremely good idea IMHO.

Bet the SSD feels fast eh? I love my Samsung SSD!

Comment

Ssd kicks ass! Yah....whatchu think about partitioning2 copies of windows 10 and using one for usenet. Will that confine all related files to that partition and keep the other one safe?

Comment

Kinda late now but when you get those announcements that your PC is infected (and not from your AV program) the first thing to try is System Restore in Control Panel- go back to the most recent restore point before your current problems started. Or so I read...

I had something like that happen a few weeks ago so I checked System Restore but there were no recent restore points... :-(

The persistant pop-up tab came up only when I started my browser, which I had set to reopen current tabs whenever it restarted. Fortunately I was able to get into Options to change that to a blank window and after rebooting when I opened my browser that Warning tab was gone. Guess I dodged that bullet (but I do need to change settings in System Restore to record a restore point each time I boot up.)

Usenet? I think it is much safer to dl audio and video files from a bit torrent tracker like Kick Ass Torrents, RARBG or the resurrected Demonoid site. When there is a comments section for each torrent users can warn others of possible malware. It is very important to check comments before dl-ing a Windows program- I also make sure that it has already been dl-ed at least 1,000 times...

Steve

P.S. When my desktop PC gets to the point where it will not boot up properly despite all of my attempts to repair it I will install the OS on a brand new hard drive and save the old drive in case there are files I need to copy from it. (I try to save all of my data files on a separate hard drive but Windows insists on storing some of the on the boot disc.)
                        The Blue Guitar
                        www.blueguitar.org
                        Some recordings:
                        https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                          There is a command that you can run from C:/ prompt, in Windows.
                          Type CMD in the Search Box & right click the CMD icon & click 'Run As Administrator'.
                          At the command prompt type:"sfc /scannow. (there must be a space between sfc & /)
                          This will run the System File Checker program.
                          Any system files that have been corrupted will be restored.
                          Thanks for heads up on this! For this to work SFC needs to have access to the original install files on a CD/DVD, or in a hidden or protected partition or folder on your main hd.

After reading the following link, I see that most newer versions of Windows will keep a copy of all system files in the %WinDir%\System32\dllcache folder- hopefully the needed file has not been deleted or corrupted.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_File_Checker

So if anyone received installation discs with their computer it is a good idea to find them and put them in a safe place before they are needed...

Steve
                          The Blue Guitar
                          www.blueguitar.org
                          Some recordings:
                          https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

If I install 2 sets of Windows, partitioned, and I get a virus on one, will that affect the other partition? Is this a good method of keeping things separate?

Comment

Honestly most viruses and malware will only affect the one system running in that partition, other one will be fine. However, if you get a root kit that hits your bios or something of that nature then that can affect any windows system partition that boots up. These types of root kits are rare but I have seen them in the wild. You will think your windows is the "ROOT" problem but it is not. As you wipe zeros to hard drive and then reinstall it becomes apparent that something in the bios is hacked. At that point you need to either re-write the eprom boot firmware on the bios chip or get a new chip if that proves too difficult. Running DOS and installing firmware can be a real headache at times.
                              When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Ok interesting. Good to know. Linux definitely has a learning curve and just isn't something I have time for right now. Maybe at some point in the future I'll have room for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X