PC constipated- help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
    Does XP still do updates, I thought it was unsupported?
    T
    No more updates for us single user's and they might still support a few businesses running xp for while longer. I think we are saying to not let Firefox or something update itself without asking first...?
    When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

That's what I like about the pinguin.
      With it being free, no reason not to keep all software shiny and new.
      In the new Lenovo, It likes the Xubuntu 16.04 Beta, cause it has the newest drivers.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

That's what I like about the pinguin.
        With it being free, no reason not to keep all software shiny and new.
        In the new Lenovo, It likes the Xubuntu 16.04 Beta, cause it has the newest drivers.
        This is good advice. Xubuntu is a perfect choice; light, fast, secure, and free as in beer.

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
          Isn't that pretty much the same extension that you recommended he try with firefox?
          Because last time the response was "I did open rjb's link yes, but it was too complicated".
          No, this one is much easier (shhh!)

If you read the description in the right column of the linked page, you may get an inkling why the extension is useful.
          Once you install it, you can shit-can Flash altogether- because Chrome will be using its own video player to display Youtube videos, using the old "easy to digest" streaming format.

Originally posted by elipsey View Post
          I respectfully disagree. Turning off security updates is a false economy.
          It will soon be a moot point.
          He doesn't get WIN XP updates because there aren't any to get.
          He won't get Flash updates once he uninstalls Flash.
          I just saw a notification that Google Chrome will soon stop sending updates to WIN XP and Vista users.
          He should have a firewall, and be receiving automatic updates from a free anti-malware provider e.g. Bitdefender.

I agree with previous posters that more RAM is needed.
          Yea, and a big solid state drive too.

This hardware configuration is marginal at best; however, some of us have to make do with what we have. If my hardware was not adequate and I couldn't afford better, I would probably start looking for a faster OS.
          I still have a WIN XP system, for reasons similar to Juan's.
          Linux might be faster on the same box- but certain niche programs run only under Windoze.
          I could try running them under WINE- but that would be plain silly.

I can empathize with SC.
          Why should he have to upgrade or replace a computer just to continue doing the same things he's been doing for years?

Say I have a Harmony guitar and a 6W SS Teisco amp, through which I've been playing Wild Thing every day for 50 years.
          I'd be bummed if someone told me "Your system is obsolete and you have to buy an Yngwie Vai-Vaughn signature guitar and Blackfaced Orange Mesa modeling amp."

For folks with "antiquated" hardware, Youtube's switch from Flash to HTML5 was like the USA's switch from analog to digital TV.
          "What do you mean I can't watch the morning news on my B&W portable with rabbit ears?
          Who needs high definition? I don't want to see every pore on the anchor babe's face.
          Or the weather guy's nose hairs. Or the sports guy's ear beards."

YouTube's video pick spells doom for Adobe Flash - CNET
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digita..._United_States
          Last edited by rjb; 03-09-2016, 05:19 PM. Reason: Style (not substance)
          DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

I'm using the latest version of Firefox 45.
            It uses HTML5 by default for Youtube.
            That's the problem.
            Youtube now streams videos in HTML5 by default.
            Older systems choke on HTML5.
            That was the reason for the link I provided in post #21.
            The extension makes YouTube stream H.264 videos instead of VP8/VP9 videos.
            Last edited by rjb; 03-09-2016, 06:18 AM.
            DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

I empathize as well. It sucks that his computer won't do what he wants. The difference between an old guitar and an old computer is that he only wants to connect one of them to the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                What does turning off automatic updates have to do with turning off security updates?
                If you read that post, I stated to set it up so it asks first, rather than doing it automatically. This was mostly in the context of this scenario, partly because it's an XP machine, and partly because he is having issues.
                Being in control of your updates means you can do them one at a time, and that enables you to undo it if you have a problem.
                My personal preference is to be asked about all updates (op system or programs) no matter how new the machine. A lot of the flack about windows 10 is that it no longer allows notification of updates. Many people want to be in control of their machines. Additionally, for people who do not have an unlimited data plan, unwanted or unnecessary updates can cost money.
                Anyway, I did not mean to imply in any way that people should turn security updates right off. Just the automatic delivery with no notification.
                Sorry g1, I understand, and I appologize for implicitly mischaracterizing your adivce. However, it is considered best practice to enable automatic security updates because users may be vulnerable until they are manually installed, and often will not install them at all. I'll thank others here for reminding me that the point is moot because Windows XP EOL'd two years ago.

While I sypathize with users, the idea of anyone going on the big bad internet like that is frankly terrifying to me! Please don't!

At the very least, use a browser with automatic updates and adblock that is not whatever version of IE you are stuck with in Windows XP. But seriously, if anyone here has an OS that's out of service life for security updates, get your files off it, put a sticker over the webcam, and start looking for a newer operating system. Something bad is going to happen if you don't fix this. Even if you think you don't anything important with your computer, you are courting trouble.

Comment

Here's what a linux update can look like with the software updater.
                  Linux lets you put them in at your convience, but notifies you when they are available.
                  T
                  Attached Files
                  "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                  Terry

Comment

Hey, where's SC?
                    Haven't heard from him in a while.
                    I hope we didn't crash his computer.
                    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Not "we".
                        Maybe average Net complexity increased by 0.01% and that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

FWIW and curious about this, I plugged my old XP computer, which works fine as long as I don't even try to navigate the Net or play an MP4 movie, into my WiFi router which also has 4 LAN sockets in the back for wired computers.

Lost 2 hours which I'll never get back trying to make it work.

Solved a couple problems first but the impassable brickwall was that it couldn't communicate well enough with the router and "set an IP" or something.

I tried to manually add a fixed one copied from what the Netbook was using but it didn't "take" it.

Oh well, back to designing PCBs on DOS based Autotrax and Tango PCB, front panels on Windows 3.1 based Corel 5 , printing with an HPII compatible Lexmark Optra on vellum for silkscreen burning art and keeping a humongous database of customers, suppliers and jobs data run on Windows 3.1 based Microsoft Works , which it does flawlessly.

That said, for a couple years now I've been muttering about getting a new box specifically for that task, maybe running some DOS and W3.1 emulator at the beginning to keep old stuff running and slowly converting to Kicad, newer Corel version and Open Office database.

As it stands now, I'm one hard disk crash away from disaster.
                        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Things keep a changing too fast to suit me.
                          Computers are always seem to be a game of catch up.
                          Finally get things we like and half way understand, and they go and change it all.
                          T
                          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by DrGonz78 View Post
                            And carry a towel !!!!!!!!!!
                            Originally posted by Enzo
                            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Sorry g1, I understand, and I appologize for implicitly mischaracterizing your adivce. However, it is considered best practice to enable automatic security updates because users may be vulnerable until they are manually installed, and often will not install them at all.
                              I think you probably have a more realistic view of the expertise (& caution) of the average computer user, so we'll leave it at that.
                              Originally posted by Enzo
                              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                                and keeping a humongous database of customers, suppliers and jobs data run on Windows 3.1 based Microsoft Works , which it does flawlessly.
                                If you want to migrate those Works files to a new computer install LibreOffice and it will read them. My old xP computer works OK with my router. It worked fine hard wired to one of the router's Ethernet ports. I then moved the router downstairs and fitted a WiFi slot card in the xP PC and it's working OK with that now. It's not great for video but it plays MP4s OK using Media Player Lite. I've been retired for five years but my boss didn't get the memo. He keeps sending me work which I do on the old xP because it has my old schematic and pcb layout programs on it. I agree with Big Teee and sympathise with SC. My xP machine does what I want it to do. I just need it to output Gerber and NC drill files. Why should I have to 'upgrade' my operating system all the time to do the same job?

Comment

Working...
                                X