Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is so totally over my head, but is there a one or two sentence explanation of what this is done for? Why someone would use this? All I know about is memory and connecting one thing to another.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I'm doing one right now. The link gives different directions than what you show. It gets different after 'create partition primary'.
      I chose NTFS and it's taking a long time to format. Like one percent per minute on a 30gig usb.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Isn't there a "quick format" option?
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          This is so totally over my head, but is there a one or two sentence explanation of what this is done for? Why someone would use this? All I know about is memory and connecting one thing to another.
          The only use I have had is if I want to make a usb drive bootable and for that to happen it will have to be marked active. Ususally when using a drive to boot win7 or linux.

nosaj
          soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
            I'm doing one right now. The link gives different directions than what you show. It gets different after 'create partition primary'.
            I chose NTFS and it's taking a long time to format. Like one percent per minute on a 30gig usb.
            ususally for a usb drive you will want fat32. NTFS allows you to set user permissions on files which I've found is only beneficial in a networked enviroment.

nosaj

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
              Isn't there a "quick format" option?
              format /fs=fat32 or ntfs

nosaj

Comment

Thanks guys, I was gone for a while.
                fat32, ntfs, either will do.
                Sometimes it is hard to delete the mbr on a factory usb drive.
                The command line will ignore the cautions, and delete it anyway.
                It is easy to do command line format on linux, was wanting the similar for windows.
                Linux # mkfs.vfat /dev/sdx -I
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

Oh, when you asked about a USB stick, I thought the little flash drives, are you discussing like USB hard drive sort of thing?
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                    Thanks guys, I was gone for a while.
                    fat32, ntfs, either will do.
                    Sometimes it is hard to delete the mbr on a factory usb drive.
                    The command line will ignore the cautions, and delete it anyway.
                    It is easy to do command line format on linux, was wanting the similar for windows.
                    Linux # mkfs.vfat /dev/sdx -I
                    nosaj
                    format /fs:fat32 /mbr should lay down a new boot record.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                      Oh, when you asked about a USB stick, I thought the little flash drives, are you discussing like USB hard drive sort of thing?
                      Flash drive usb stick same thing/ Tomato tomoto

nosaj

Comment

Yes, just the memory stick, but they are treated similar in software.
                        The commputer doesn't know what is on the other end of the usb plug, it thinks they are all drives.
                        Here's the command to speed it up.
                        Format fs=NTFS Quick
                        This looks like it would work.
                        https://www.intowindows.com/how-to-f...in-windows-10/
                        T
                        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                        Terry

Comment

98% complete.
                          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Done. I did the 'assign' and it named it 'K'.
                            I think it usually names any usb I plug in 'J'.
                            Now if I plug in another, it is J, but this one always gets called K now. I guess it reads that from the formatting?

Comment

Now you have it ready to put linux live on it.
                              T
                              Terry

Comment

That format procedure should also work for SD camera media cards.
                                If you have a sd card that is screwed up, a low level format will usually fix it.
                                I put out trail cameras in the fall, and I've had to format some of the cards to get them to work.
                                I use fat-32 for that.
                                T
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X