computer based lab equippment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• computer based lab equippment

I see more and more computer based software and add ons for laboratory audio needs. Oscilloscopes, generators and such.
    I always wanted an audio analyzer but they were expensive and doing a google search I found a software valued at almost 500 u.s.d. called Oscillometer that does it all, and it's companion SoundGenerator at 299.

I know it is a lot of money but I would like to have a sweep generator to align my marantz 2285B and that started it all. Is this the future? No equipment calibration needed etc etc

I'm used to and like the feel of my analog scope for audio work, but I think that I could be loosing something here.

Any opinions?

And would this computoscope be the same screen you look at your schematics on? My terminal here sits on the corner of the bench and is the schematic display. I have my scope in front of my face. I can refer to the drawing and scope a test point. I'd hate to have to toggle between them.

COmputer based instruments need no calibration? I know I have to correct the clock on my computer every so often.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I use a wireless mouse, and that helps a lot. And an AA battery charger for it. What I do is to print on my old HP laser anything I need as I much prefer to see schems on paper.
      Maybe not using the main computer, but an old one just good enough to run the software, and that could be safer in case something is connected by accident where it shouldn't.
      Not saying I am after this, but I just realized that there are dedicated computers that do this, like the LeCroy scopes for example.

Comment

I sometimes prefer paper, so I print it out if I don't have it already on file. But I have largely converted over to the screen, since I can blow it up or zoom in on a section of circuit.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

For audible spectrum work this is a far cheaper software only solution:

http://www.zelscope.com/

There are others out there too. These software only or soundcard solutions likely won't get you much past maybe 15kc but maybe that's enough.

I really like these: http://www.bitscope.com/ I have followed these guys since it was a DIY project only, now it is a full blown commercial operation.

There are other options too. No need to spend more than about $150ish to get into the 200kc range which is more than enough for audio work. That should get you probes and a faster ADC that plugs into your USB or parallel port and powerful sofwtare.

Barry

Comment

Working...
          X