Win vs Linux vs Mac vs Chromebk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win vs Linux vs Mac vs Chromebk

I thought it would be good to have thread of comparing different Operating Sytems.
    If you see any comparison OS videos you like, please post them here!
    I'll start with a video comparing Windows to Linux.

Last edited by big_teee; 12-13-2018, 06:13 PM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Windows vs Chromebook

There are a few vids on chromebook vs windows.

"If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Here's a comparison of Win 10 compared to Ubuntu 16.04.
      Ubuntu is now up to issue 18.10, but still a good comparison.
      I like to pay attention to the network speed test?

Terry

Comment

Ubuntu 18.04 Vs Manjaro | Which is the Best Linux Distro?
        Here's a very good video comparing Ubuntu to Manjaro.
        As a personal note, I run a customized version of Ubuntu.
        I've run Ubuntu as my everyday, for several years now, before that I used Mint for a few years.
        Ubuntu always loads and runs great out of the box.
        With Manjaro, I always have some issue loading it, or hardware issues.
        On with the video!

Terry

Comment

I’m not an expert... but for me it’s not a comparison of how they work more than how they keep working. I was a Windows guy for ever. Then I FINALLY got weary of reinstalling my corrupted windows operating system every 3 months.... Especially with my daughter and wife using them. I went to Mac and have had Mac computers running for years without any of those issues. I run AVAST as a free virus program and all is good. I pulled the hard drives out of my last windows computers and put them in external enclosures. Also use IPhones. I hate all the restrictions Apple does, all the propriety shit, the pain it is to transfer files, music, etc... their cloud architecture. But the shit always works. My wife watching a hockey feed from Russia doesn’t kill everything, lol!

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
            I’m not an expert... but for me it’s not a comparison of how they work more than how they keep working. I was a Windows guy for ever. Then I FINALLY got weary of reinstalling my corrupted windows operating system every 3 months.... Especially with my daughter and wife using them. I went to Mac and have had Mac computers running for years without any of those issues. I run AVAST as a free virus program and all is good. I pulled the hard drives out of my last windows computers and put them in external enclosures. Also use IPhones. I hate all the restrictions Apple does, all the propriety shit, the pain it is to transfer files, music, etc... their cloud architecture. But the shit always works. My wife watching a hockey feed from Russia doesn’t kill everything, lol!
            Whatever works for you, that is priority one.
            Macs are pretty much non existent here.
            Probably the cost.
            In my 30+ years with computers, I've never had a hold of a mac.
            Lot's of Unix based stuff, and lots of PC based.
            Linux is the cheap alternative.
            I started messing with linux in late 90s.
            Most don't run any AV with linux.
            I always put Clam AV on just to make sure I'm not passing anything to anyone.
            Since I have a laptop in my office on the desk.
            Another one in the Living room, I multi-task with.
            The Third laptop, I just use to test different Linux Distros on.
            I love to experiment with different things and different desktops.
            What I didn't like about windows, is I was always having to run old software.
            With linux, I can test and change as often as I like, without costing anything.
            My wife has her own laptop, and I put Ubuntu 18.04LTS,(Long Term Support).
            It has a 5 year support life. She likes and runs it fine!
            After the 5 years it can be upgraded to a new Version.
            T
            Last edited by big_teee; 12-31-2018, 03:28 AM.
            Terry

Comment

Linux vs Mac

Here's a decent video of Mac, and Linux.

Terry

Comment

Macs are good but their ease of use and coordinated design advantages have ebbed over the years. I was all Mac from 1990 on until work required Win machines and the cost of macs became ridiculous compared to a much faster cobbled together Win machine.

There are still guys in Si Valley area that will build a super hackintosh for 1/3rd the price of a high end Mac
                https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/syd...771234952.html

and check out what it takes to just "pop a SSD into your iMac"
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LMIfdIDh7I
                and on some models even adding RAM could take a "near complete disassembly" and takes ~1h and multiple special tools!

Linux is the same box as Win, just without DRM and big brother MS breathing down your neck. The learning curve is substantial but if you're gonna swim in deep water (be a power user) you might not want to pay upfront. Linux users (usually) have more time than $

Chromebooks are a terminal and require good high speed internet to keep you tethered to the mothership ( that is now free to be fully evil!)
                Last edited by tedmich; 01-01-2019, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Linux users (usually) have more time than $
                  I'm in that category.
                  However with that said, my wife is a basic user, and does fine with linux.
                  I do all the maitenance, she mainly surfs on the web and prints a few pictures and documents.
                  You turn it on and use the gui, like you do on windoz and Mac.
                  Easy Peasy!
                  T
                  Terry

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
                    Chromebooks are a terminal and require good high speed internet to keep you tethered to the mothership ( that is now free to be fully evil!)
                    This seems to have flown in under the radar, but some of the latest Chromebooks now have native support for Linux. You no longer have to mess with Crouton or GalliumOS. I've got one, but so far have only been using it as a terminal.
                    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

We have a thread for Chromebooks with some pretty good videos.
                      https://music-electronics-forum.com/...ad.php?t=47917
                      But, for the cost of the better ones, might as well buy a laptop PC.
                      T
                      Terry

Comment

10 Reason to Pick Linux, or Windows!

I thought this humorous, or comical!
                        10 reasons to pick windows over Linux, and another 10 reasons to pick Linux over Windows.
                        They say love is in the eye of the beholder!
                        Proof, that you can spin things either way!

Here's the windows link.
                        https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/forget-linux-use-windows/

Now here are 10 reasons to pick Linux.
                        Since I'm a avid linux user, you know I fall into this camp!
                        http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/1...r-than-windows
                        GL,
                        T
                        Last edited by big_teee; 02-14-2019, 11:09 PM.
                        Terry

Comment

I don't really have a dog in this fight, as I am unlikely to decide to putz around with alternatives. But in my arm's length view, it seems Linux is for people who say "Oh good, I GET to install/configure/setup..." And Windows is for people who say "Oh no, I'd HAVE to install/configure/setup..."
                          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Now days both windows, and linux are easy, and graphical.
                            Use and try what you like.
                            My point was, that you can spin the argument either way.
                            Last edited by big_teee; 02-15-2019, 03:48 PM.
                            Terry

Comment

I think every OS have their own features and capabilities. I have used Linux, macOS, and windows, and to me, Windows is more user-friendly and that is why it is accepted by a whole lot of folks around the world. Those are some really good comparison videos though.

Comment

Working...
                              X