Linux question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux question

Question for all , suppose my laptop dies I'm running a ubuntu variant.
    I get a new laptop different hardware, how hard or difficult is it to move the drive to another computer. On Windows I'd do a clean install then copy my profile from the old hard drive to the next and reinstall the software I had.

Thanks,
    nosaj
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

It can be just plug and play, or it may not work.
    Linux has no registration, like windoz, so that is more simple.
    If all of the drivers work then it should be just plug in the drive.
    I would recommend trying your version live with a USB on the new computer, before the switch.
    The new 20.04 LTS, works great, and will be supported for 5 years, give it a try.
    GL,
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      It can be just plug and play, or it may not work.
      Linux has no registration, like windoz, so that is more simple.
      If all of the drivers work then it should be just plug in the drive.
      I would recommend trying your version live on the new computer, before the switch.
      The new 20.04 LTS, works great, and will be supported for 5 years, give it a try.
      GL,
      T
      So having to recompile the kernal would be what you have to do if it doesn't work correct?

nosaj
      soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Since the drivers are part of the kernel, You get whatever kernel version is in that Distro issue.
        20.04LTS has kernel 5.4xxx in it.
        As long as the video display works, and your network works, you can usually install the driver for whatever doesn't work.
        That is why I always run the version live from USB stick, first to check out the display adapter, wifi, sound, etc. before I load it.
        Last edited by big_teee; 04-27-2020, 03:42 AM.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Working...
        X