Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP service pack 3

Hey fellas,

I wanted to see if any one of you have tried Windows XP service pack 3?

If you have downloaded it what did it do to improve your XP OS?

Any negative effects?

Thanks

Dave

As soon as I accepted the EULA, Bill Gates mooned me and my motherboard caught fire. Apart from that, I'd recommend it.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

How could you tell he was mooning you?

Comment

It _is_ hard to tell it wasn't his face.

/ yes, cheap shot.

Comment

LOL....

I guess ol Bill can laugh all the way to the bank though.....

Bank teller sees him coming and says (Oh, here comes butthead). LOL....

On a side note, I found using an ASUS P5N-E mobo sucks on a new build.
          The damn thing was fast at some tasks but would really hesitate using a flash drive or recognizing the different optical drives. I had one sata DVD burner and an IDE DVD burner and the mobo seem to just not to want to see which was in use even after setting the bios settings it would see the drives but when using them I would always have to type in the run command the drive letter before these drives would respond. I just switched to a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L mobo and it works fine. Go figure....

I like ASUS but some of thier boards are not to easy to deal with. I think I prefer the
          P35 intel chipsets over the 650i SLI Nvidia crap. The Nvidia drivers would conflict with some programs too.

Building PC's is fun but sometimes a real pain

Comment

it is difficult to go wrong with an intel chipset.

i haven't installed sp3 yet but i have heard of no compelling reasons not to.

Comment

Well not to sound stupid but I looked over at the Microsoft site and could not find where to load the SP3.

I have always found downloads I need on the web but do not see this download at the Microsft site, just a pdf telling about it. Did they remove it for some odd reason?

Dave

Comment

I wasted a big chunk of my monthly bandwidth allotment on it, and found out that a number of applications I depended on stopped working. So, I removed it and everything worked fine again.

Comment

I'm new here, trying to get some help with a B12xt but, saw this thread. I definately would wait a few more months for all the manufacturers to get their drivers in line with SP3. It has been known to break apps and cause some issues with various video drivers.

Comment

Ok, I had windows service pack 2 over 2 years, last time I reinstalled windows, and installed with service pack3, really nothing changed.

Perhaps something behind the screne...

Comment

I have SP3 on two machines... ( one XP Home, one XP Pro ). I made full system backups of both before installing the Service Pack but luckily didn`t need them.
                      No problems at all with SP3 for me.

Comment

no probs here, too, although my bass player's dad seems to have some problems.

Comment

Since MS distributed it on automatic updates, I ended up putting it on both my machines, and I had no trouble, except for certain issues with Windows product activation which I can't discuss here
                          "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

SP3 is more hungru for memory. Luckily, memory is cheap.
                            Altough, working better. Stability is ok. Drivers is as-is. Java (sun microsystems) is added by default, and internet explorer 7. ie7 is good, almost like mozilla.
                            Not need automatic updates. I prefer to switch automatic off.
                            Next step is vista, but is it step forward or step back?

Comment

hmm lets see......do i upgrad to sp3 or not? what do i get out of the deal

mostly eye candy
                              java which i already have
                              system remains 32 bit
                              a higher tax on my cpu
                              a higher tax on my memory
                              potential driver problems for my hardware

OH BABY....sign me up now!!!!
                              It's the old rule....if it's not broke don't fix it.

Since MS distributed it on automatic updates, I ended up putting it on both my machines, and I had no trouble, except for certain issues with Windows product activation which I can't discuss here
                              LOL sounds like you and I have similar problems Steve.

Comment

Working...
                              X