Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deoxit and iPod hold switch

FWIW,

was having probs with my 3G iPod hold switch. Basically it wouldn't work consistently; if you stick it in a pocket, bag, etc., it doesn't stay turned off and it activates and turns on by itself using up the battery being a problem. So mine wasn't being used for a while since the stock battery was dead, but found one online on sale for slightly less than usual (shipping incl.), so I bought that, had a bit of a hassle/learning experience figuring out how to take it apart to access the battery (Marshalls are a lot easier!). Then replaced the battery but forgot about the problems I was having with the hold switch (which of course resurfaced and startled me a bit when the iPod turned on before I reverted the hold switch to "off" position after putting in the new battery). So, I tried out something I've suggested a few times to clean dirty contacts. Specifically, spray the contacts then put the item inside a container or sealable plastic bag(ziplock, etc.). (The idea behind using a small container or ziplock type bag is to have the part in a small basically sealed off space so it takes longer for the applied Deoxit to evaporate--and presumably have a better environment to pool and work.) Anyway, aiming carefully for the hold switch contact opening, I sprayed a bit of Deoxit then put the iPod into a small-ish ziplock bag, sealing the bag after squeezing out as much air as I could and left it overnight. Repeated this two or three times, re-assembled the iPod, and the hold switch seems to be working as it should again (crossing fingers!). Spraying and leaving overnight is not my idea (it's in one of the application note(?) type things on the Caig site) but the part about putting in a container or bag is my little contribution(I think). Tried pushing the buttons again a few times just now just to make sure (in hold position and battery charged) and it seems to be working.

p.s. possibly as a final step maybe I should have given it a shot of Cailube but the thought didn't occur to me to try that

ifixit.com has guides on how to take apart ipods.

Comment

Working...
    X