pitch problem (this is a weird one)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pitch problem (this is a weird one)

so I got a bunch of throwaway computers. Mostly old Dells. None worked. I got verified compatible parts (video card, memory, power supply, etc) and got one good working frankencomputer. It works fine. Boots and runs faster than my old computer (13 years old). Except: when I play a dvd, or even a video file on the hard drive, the audio plays slightly too high pitch. Did all the usual: update drivers, go through the bios looking for odd stuff. Scoured the device settings, could not find anything.
    Any tips on what to do? Anyone ever have this problem? j
    Its a Dell Optiplex 755. 2.5g processor 8g ram. Built in sound chip, not a plug in.
    The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Which OS and which application are you using to play the files? Windows Media Player, for example, has a "Play Speed" in the menu. Possibly your software has something similar.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
      Which OS and which application are you using to play the files? Windows Media Player, for example, has a "Play Speed" in the menu. Possibly your software has something similar.
      Thanks Dude. It has Win7 pro installed. And I tried a whole bunch of different players. I tried adjusting the play speed and it does slow down but the audio pitch is still weird. I tried Power DVD, windows media player, and DivX and one other. Maybe the sound chip itself is unhappy?
      The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

Sometimes audio enhancements will cause this type of problem. Try going to the control panel and disabling all enhancements for your sound card.

Control Panel
        Sound
        Click your interface
        Enhancements tab
        Check "Disable all enhancements"

"I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Following up on Dude's post...

On my Windows 10 PC....

Control Panel
          Sound
          Click on the device (in my case, Realtek Digital Output, Optical)
          With the device selected, click on "Properties"
          Go to the Enhancements tab
          Check to see if "Pitch Shift" is selected.
          I have a check mark on the "Immediate Mode" box.
          Nothing else is selected.
          It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

Thanks Dude, and TomCarlos, looking now...

Comment

Working...
            X