Fanless mini PC to run Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fanless mini PC to run Linux

I currently run a really old laptop using Xubuntu/Kodi for general video streaming - watching Youtube etc on the TV. It's fine, despite only having 2gb ram and a 120gb SSD. The fan noise is annoying, though. So I'm thinking of replacing it with a fanless brick. I'm looking for something inexpensive - maybe something bare that I can use the brand-new SSD that I have and which I can populate with my own memory. Any suggestions?

A Raspberry Pi will do the job. I have a friend that uses a Pi 3B for similar things. A Pi is US$35 - $50 depending on which version you get, and is about as bare as they come.
    Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Thanks for the tip - I never thought that a Raspberry Pi would do the job and it looks to be perfect. Even a Pi 4 kit with dedicated remote still comes in at a reasonable price (well, reasonable for the UK - probably much cheaper in the USA) The 3B is even better value. Now the dilemma is which version to choose.

Comment

Just placed an order for a Pi4 with 4Gb, PSU, FLIRC case and 32Gb micro SD with preinstalled NOOBS software.

EDIT: Everything turned up today. Really impressed with how it works and streaming 720P results in just 5% max processor utilization.
        Last edited by Mick Bailey; 11-18-2020, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
          Just placed an order for a Pi4 with 4Gb, PSU, FLIRC case and 32Gb micro SD with preinstalled NOOBS software.

EDIT: Everything turned up today. Really impressed with how it works and streaming 720P results in just 5% max processor utilization.
          Sounds Great!
          We need pictures!
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Working...
          X