Desperately in need of help with Thunderbird upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On evaluating a new Linux Distro?
    I first try the distro live from a USB flash drive.
    That lets you see if the software is compatible with your hardwarre.
    The biggest obstacles I usually have with laptops, is with wifi.
    If the wifi, and all hardware works, and I like the desktop features, I install it on a spare Partition on the test computer.
    Some Linux distros work ok from a live usb.
    Some distros have installing apps that are difficult and hard to install.
    I concentrate on, Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora & Mageia.
    They all offer their distro with the Gnome desktop, that I prefer.
    GL,
    T

"If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

I downloaded and did a quick review on the new upcoming Fedora FC34/w Gnome 40 desktop.
      You can see the review here.
      https://music-electronics-forum.com/...s/49385-/page2
      Post 23.
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Looking at your specs it reminds me that I really need to get a better machine to experiment more with Distros.

I had a breakthough with Thunderbird. The version reported as being installed wasn't the actual version. I was on a Beta update channel and since my original post have had three more instances where I lost my mail and had to restore from backups. I installed a standalone 78.7.1 but this would not recognize the beta profile even using the 'allow downgrade' instruction. I spent most of yesterday attempting to export the contents of the beta profile but none of the tools work with that beta version. As a last act of desperation I was randomly moving some files around between installs and was able to open the beta profile just once. Real Monkeys with Typewriters stuff. Before doing anything else I backed up the profile and did a fresh install of 78.7.1, restored and renamed the profile, and deleted profile.ini and installs.ini. Everything now works perfectly. I don't know how i ended up on a beta update channel - this certainly wasn't the case when I was on 68.x and it must have happened when I automatically got updated to 78.x.

Comment

Working...
        X