Ubuntu 20.04 issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 20.04 issues

I've just done a fresh install of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS on a machine that previously ran 18.04.5 just fine. I have two problems that are new and previously worked without any need to change files or download additional software;

1. I have an SSD attached to my router that was accessible under Files>Other Locations and this is no longer visible.
    2. In the Software Centre I used to be able to launch an installed application - now the launch buttons are missing and there's only a button to remove each application.

Both of these are pretty frustrating and I've not been able to find any suggestions to get back to a fully functioning system, so any advice would be welcome.

Under Files, if you don't see your SSD?
    Look under other locations.
    If it shows up, access it there.
    I am running the later non LTS version, 21.04
    See Screenshot.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2021-08-09 10-26-43.png
Views:	321
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	938608

You should also be able to see it under the partition tool gparted.
    See SS

Name:	Screenshot from 2021-08-09 10-24-55.png
Views:	323
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	938609
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

2. In the Software Centre I used to be able to launch an installed application
      What is the name of the application, maybe I can help find it?
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

The launch button is missing for all installed apps but they run from terminal (Eg. VLC, Kodi, Gnome tweaks, Xpad).

The SSD doesn't appear in other locations, but my other devices running LibreElec and Windows can still see the SSD. I just noticed that those network devices don't show up either on the new install and they did previously. They were all present when I did the install and I was expecting them to get picked up automatically. I can log into my router from Ubuntu and see the attached SSD. I read that the smb.conf file could need editing, but there is no samba folder with this install (though there is with my old install which I still have access to). I'm pretty new to Ubuntu - just a user - so I don't know if this is relevant to my particular issue. Could this be a wireless network driver problem?

Everything else appears to be working, it's just these two issues to sort out.

Comment

The SSD doesn't appear in other locations, but my other devices running LibreElec and Windows can still see the SSD
          Ubuntu terminal try this.
          This will tell you if the OS recognizes the SSD.
          It should show the device, partition, and uuid for the partition.
          #blkid
          Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot from 2021-08-09 20-27-46.png Views:	0 Size:	110.0 KB ID:	938649
          Last edited by big_teee; 08-10-2021, 02:17 AM.
          Terry

Comment

This only shows the laptop's own SSD on my machine

When installing the previous version (on the same machine) I didn't connect the wifi during the install and did this afterwards as I was on copper back then on a slow connection and didn't want to download the updates during install. This time I'm on fibre and connected to my router as part of the install procedure. I'm just about to reinstall the way I did it before and see if that makes a difference.

Comment

I loaded 20.04.3 Ubu on my test laptop.
              The Software center where you explore, launch, remove?
              It does not work on that issue, it is just a blank white screen.
              It works on my other machines.
              I launch a program or app by hitting the Super windows button.
              That brings up the search bar at the top of the page.
              I type in the app there, and launch it.
              Or I use the Alt, F2, and type in the run command I want.
              Or you can use the 9 dots button, at the bottom of the launch bar, to access all the apps.
              The apps I use a lot, I put a shortcut on the left launch bar.
              I never use the Software center.
              I install all the software from terminal, with the command?
              #apt install gnome-tweaks etc.
              GL,
              T
              Terry

Comment

The re-install with the wifi connection afterwards did the trick - I can now see all the other devices connected to the router, including the SSD. I've also installed the applications from the command line instead of the software centre. I've done as you suggested and put the shortcut on the launch bar.

I've noticed that the fan runs continuously at a fairly fast speed. It used to cut in and out on the old version but now even runs if the machine is idle. The air is cool coming out of the vent and used to be warm, so I think there's a glitch with the cooling software.

Comment

Glad to hear you got it all running.
                  I modify the launch bar with my apps and remove most of the ones that come stock.
                  Instead of files, I install the places, on the top bar.
                  It shows you disks and folders and opens in files, when you click on one.
                  It has to be added through the browser at extensions.gnome.org
                  See screenshot.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot from 2021-08-10 13-45-21.png Views:	0 Size:	1.12 MB ID:	938692
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot from 2021-08-10 13-45-27.png Views:	0 Size:	1.10 MB ID:	938693

I don't run it in this Ubuntu desktop, I install the regular gnome desktop,known as gnome session, it has autohide and it looks like this.

Name:	Screenshot from 2021-08-10 14-01-13.png
Views:	147
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	938694

Name:	Screenshot from 2021-08-10 13-56-06.png
Views:	144
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	938695
                  Last edited by big_teee; 08-10-2021, 07:04 PM.
                  Terry

Comment

Post 9 is 20.04 with gnome 3.36.
                    With 21.04 comes with 3.38, but I install the new Gnome 40 Desktop.
                    It is entirely redesigned, and uses the new horizontal launcher at the bottom, It can also be put on the top.
                    It is very fast, and IMO much improved over the 3.xx desktop.
                    It is what I run as my daily OS. It will eventually come on all Distro's running a Gnome desktop!
                    It looks like this.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot from 2021-08-10 14-06-42.png Views:	0 Size:	1.01 MB ID:	938697
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot from 2021-08-10 14-06-37.png Views:	0 Size:	643.5 KB ID:	938698
                    Terry

Comment

I like the Places function. The Gnome version with my install is 3.36.8 but this doesn't come up in the download list - The dropdown list shows shell version and another extension version - do you know what I need to install?

Comment

From Terminal
                        # apt install gnome-shell-extensions
                        Then go to
                        https://extensions.gnome.org/
                        Follow the instructions for your browser.
                        Install Places Status Indicator.
                        T

Name:	Screenshot from 2021-08-11 21-56-59.png
Views:	177
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	938849
                        Last edited by big_teee; 08-12-2021, 02:58 AM.
                        Terry

Comment

That page is where I'm missing the version that I have - it isn't on the list.

Comment

The version doesn't seem to matter.
                            I let it install by default
                            There are two controls of extensions.
                            1. is the apt install gnome-shell-extensions
                            2 is the extensions-gnome.org
                            If no places after doing those, you need to remove, blow them out and start over.
                            I've had that happen several times.
                            T
                            Terry

Comment

Working...
                            X