Ubuntu upgraded now hub SSD not visible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu upgraded now hub SSD not visible

I usually accept software updates and don't have problems, but after the last Ubuntu 20.04.4 update a few days ago my SSD that's attached to my hub no longer appears. If I try to browse the network I get the message "Failed to retrieve share list from server: no such file or directory." I've never had to do anything special before - it always appeared automatically under 'Other Locations' in Nautilus. I have to manually connect via SMB share each time for the duration of the session. Looking for answers, all I can find is modifications or additional installs of components which were never required before. Is there a simple answer to this?

I don't know anything about external drives.
    I have had problems with usb drives not being recognized.
    A unplug and replug usually fixes it.
    Sometimes the OS will seem to work better with one usb port, over another.

I ran 20.04 for a while, but went to 20.10 to get the newer Gnome 40 desktop I like.
    I also wrestled with the new 22.04, daily builds.
    Ubuntu reinvented the wheel too many times, changed too many apps and programs.
    They want everything on the Snap Store, and I don't like or do SNAP.
    I'm in the process of migrating my 4 laptops to Manjaro.
    It has the Gnome 40 type desktop I use, no Snap, and the apps work correctly.
    Ubuntu has seemed to gone into more of the Microsoft Windows mindset.
    Too many things running, too many places, that I can't keep up with.

Here's the Manjaro Download link.
    The Gnome I use is at the bottom of the list.
    https://manjaro.org/download/
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

I have a spare SSD to experiment with - when I get chance I'll install Manjaro, which I hadn't seen before you mentioned it. What's the issue with SNAP?

Comment

Snap is a way for programs to be built, managed and ran through the snap store.
        Snap slows the system down some, and on a fresh boot, first launch, firefox and other snaps are slower starting.
        I don't like the way Ubuntu mounts the Snaps like partition loops.
        You can see it if you do a # lsblk
        So far I have been able to remove it, but it getting more integrated into the Distro.
        So far only ubuntu, and those cloning Ubuntu are using it.
        Use Ubuntu if you want to, I choose to try others for a while.
        Some other Distro's use Flatpak.
        It doesn't seem to clog the distro OS as much.

Ubuntu is a fixed release, that means the release has a certain lifespan, and stays on certain parameters during that life cycle.
        The LTS version has a 5 year lifespan, but keeps you on that same old software for 5 years.
        Manjaro, and some others, are rolling releases.
        No fixed lifespan, and it is a living upgradeable OS over time.
        That means that once you load the manjaro you want and get it customized to suit?
        Every couple of months it does a major update, on all applicable software.
        Like kernels, makes all programs and apps up to date, keeping your personal settings.

I've noticed that with Ubuntu, I'm allways beating on it, to fix it, or customize it.
        With Manjaro, I've noticed I use it more, and work on it less.
        Since I run multi-boot SSDs for now I will use Manjaro, and continue to beat and play with Ubu 22.04.
        Manjaro does a few things different, but so far I have been able to customize it to suit!
        GL,
        T
        Last edited by big_teee; 04-13-2022, 11:08 PM.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Working...
        X