Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• teisco tuning stability issues

Greetings everybody;

I promised my brother I would try to get his old Teisco in a decent condition that at least it could be used for playing and practicing on. I don't wish to do anything irreversible on it but it is one of the models with a Vibrato arm and a spring that was a poor choice for it's weight (the tuning stability is awful even without trying to use the vibrato). I am thinking of cutting a piece of wood as big as I can to fit inside the spring that will "block" the vibrato from being able to work. Does anybody know a better solution for this short of changing the spring. Thanks in advance, this forum is the best.

Benjamin

P.S. I understand that this was an inexpensive guitar when it was new 40 years ago, and I can't expect it stay in tune like my heritage or G&Ls.

Back around 1974 my first pawnshop electric guitar had that same tremolo I think. I don't remember the brand, I think it started with an S. It had this crazy bridge that was basically a piece of threaded rod with these little round saddles that could be adjusted side to side. I'm still not sure of the point of those except that maybe they could roll with the strings when using the tremolo arm. Anyway, I did what youre suggesting but I think I took off the arm and replaced the bolt and spring with a longer bolt that prevented the trem from moving down. I also shimmed the the neck to get the strings down some. The plastic tuners still sucked though.
    David

Comment

You got me thinking about that old guitar so I did some googleing and found this picture. I looks like my first guitar except mine had a Fender style head stock. I bet Fender had something to do with getting that redesigned. I wish I still had it.
      Attached Files

Comment

thank you for your quick reply, i will investigate this solution.

Comment

Also try a lube for all friction points. Grab some lip balm (add graphite if you got some) and go to town over anything the string could slide "klink" over.

Comment

Working...
          X