How to wire tone/volume pot bypass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to wire tone/volume pot bypass?

I have a two humbucker guitar (both Dimarzio). It has a 4 pole, 3 way on-on-on pickup selector switch (like the Dimarzio EP1111). Options currently are

1 bridge
    2 inner coils of both
    3 neck

I just ordered two push pull pots. I want one to split the coils of the neck and bridge. One pot can't do this independantly so they would both be switched at same time. So with the push/pull engaged, it would be

1 bridge inner (or outer depending on what I decide)
    2 inner coils of both (so this position wouldn't really change)
    3 neck inner (or outer depending on what I decide)

And then with the other push/pull, I want to bypass the tone and volume pot and send the bridge pickup directly to the output.

Any idea how I would wire this up?

thanks,

brian

Let me speculate on your request. With one push/pull pot you will be able to switch one HB pickup from two coils to one coil - your choice of which coil will be single. With two push/pulls you will be able to do this with two pups. I'm pretty sure that you will need to choose a coil on each pup that will be the single coil (when switched as). But, not be able to change which coil of the humbucker is the switched coil.

In other words, if you choose "outer" for your single coils, it will be outer in position 2 as well.

Let me suggest what I did with my LP guitar. Each pickup can be split by pulling its tone pot. In each case it is the coil toward the neck. When both pickups are switched to single coil, the coils are reverse/reverse, so that there is some hum canceling. I do not have the schematic however. Sorry. I do some sophisticated guitar wiring now-a-days, but back when my LP was done it was someone elses specialty.
    "The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar."
    - Jimi Hendrix

http://www.detempleguitars.com

Comment

Ok, I think I figured something out.

Check this out:

Push/pull 1 is a coil cut switch that cuts both pickups simultaneously.

This should work as

Push/pull 1 down*
      1 Bridge series
      2 Bridge series parallel w/ neck series
      3 Neck Series

Push/pull 1 up*
      1 Bridge north coil
      2 Bridge north coil parallel w/ neck south coil
      3 Neck south coil

And then push/pull 2 when pulled up should bypass the volume and tone controls sending the pickup outputs for each of the settings above straight to the output jack.

But I am not sure about this. Can anyone tell me if this will work?

thanks,

brian

Comment

I see. I did not figure in your selector switch - just the pot switches. Yes indeed you will have many more options with that switch. However you're only using half of the capacity of that switch - about the same as a normal selector.

I can't tell you if it will work just by looking at the diagram. My advice would be to get a thin piece of plastic/plywood/other thin material and build a test harness first. That's a complex setup and you might find out something you didn't anticipate.
        Last edited by Sir Cuitous; 02-21-2009, 04:52 PM. Reason: grammatical
        "The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar."
        - Jimi Hendrix

http://www.detempleguitars.com

Comment

Working...
        X