Advice for replacing les Paul nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for replacing les Paul nut

I have A stellar copy of a les paul . The guitar looks exacly like a gibson. It is the same dimensions and evreything. The nut is worn out and I want to replace it. This is my first time doing it so I need some advice on how to take it out and how to put it back in. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Andy

You would have to cut the new nut yourself or it will never be right. Shaping the nut and spacing the slots was a tough job for me as a critical noob some 20 years ago. If you do decide to shape and cut your own my best advice is... Don't be impatient. Cut a little at a time and take the time to check for fit and measurement between small adjustments. The temptation to remove material more vigorously is huge when things are moving slow. But resist the urge.

I reccommend you get three appropriate sized hunks of bone. Whale bone is the preferred material. You will need a set of needle files (that actually have file cuts at their edges), a jewelers saw and several grit grades of sand paper. Since your asking this question I'm sure you get the idea.

Honestly, don't think you can buy 'the right nut for that guitar'. Not going to happen.

Removing the nut is easy. Just wrap a wooden block in a dish towel, place it against the face of the nut (the side that meets the fingerboard) and tap the block very lightly with a small hammer. The original nut will pop right off. A good trick is to put a piece of masking tape over the fingerboard right ahead of the nut. This will help avoid marring the fingerboard and also secure the wood so there will be minimal edge chipping when you tap off the nut.

Chuck
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
      You would have to cut the new nut yourself or it will never be right. Shaping the nut and spacing the slots was a tough job for me as a critical noob some 20 years ago. If you do decide to shape and cut your own my best advice is... Don't be impatient. Cut a little at a time and take the time to check for fit and measurement between small adjustments. The temptation to remove material more vigorously is huge when things are moving slow. But resist the urge.

I reccommend you get three appropriate sized hunks of bone. Whale bone is the preferred material. You will need a set of needle files (that actually have file cuts at their edges), a jewelers saw and several grit grades of sand paper. Since your asking this question I'm sure you get the idea.

Honestly, don't think you can buy 'the right nut for that guitar'. Not going to happen.

Removing the nut is easy. Just wrap a wooden block in a dish towel, place it against the face of the nut (the side that meets the fingerboard) and tap the block very lightly with a small hammer. The original nut will pop right off. A good trick is to put a piece of masking tape over the fingerboard right ahead of the nut. This will help avoid marring the fingerboard and also secure the wood so there will be minimal edge chipping when you tap off the nut.

Chuck

Hey thanks for the advice..its really helpful!!! Is there any special glue to put it back together. I heard they make a nut for a les paul over at guitar center.

Comment

Well I don't think they make it at Guitar Center. It's prbably made in China and Guitar Center sells it. And I'm sure it's either plastic or that graphite/plastic/teflon black stuff. The latter is actually OK stuff. Skip it if it's white plastic or hollow in the center. If it's pre cut I would be very surprised if it fits your guitar without some adjustment. All the final sanding and finishing for any guitar is still a hand done affair so the +/- tolerance is greater than, say, putting a new nut on the end of a bolt. The fretwork, finger board radius, width at the nut and finger board thickness are all variable and in the end it makes it impossible to make a "just glue it on" replacement nut if you want your guitar to look good and be in proper adjustment. The nut width, hieght, radius, slot spacing, slot depth and slot angle are individual on every guitar.

You can try a ready made part if you like. There's always a change it will be a good enough match for your guitar. But if it isn't I suggest you get a book on guitar repair to help with things like method, tool selection, proper glues and finish touchup, etc. A good one is "Complete Guitar Repair" by Hideo Kamimoto. It's an old book but it's still in print.

Chuck
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Another great source of information is stewmac.com, Dan Erliwine gives a great tutorial on nut making and you can sign up for a free newsletter called Tade Secrets that contains a lot of great imformation. StewMac also sells everthing you need to do the job but you can get a lot invested in a hurry to make that one part. Mikej

Comment

I like to use a razor blade to score around the nut before tapping it loose. Tusq makes some good nut material that is easier to work than bone. Nut files are a must and a 6 inch mill cut file as well. a small special narrow jaw vise is very handy for working the nut and saddles too. Stew Mac has the tools and nut material you need. Getting the old one out is a piece of cake . Prepping the slot, shaping the nut, spacing the slots, etc. It can be a very delicate, time consuming job, requiring lots of patience. Good luck, I say go for it. But get a good book ( or two ) first. The one mentioned was my first.

Comment

Originally posted by HotRod View Post
              Is there any special glue to put it back together.
              You don't want a very strong bond - the key is to get a nice, tight fit in the slot and to use diluted Titebond, 1/2 glue and 1/2 water, so you can easily remove the nut in the future. And while I dropped some $$ on dedicated nut files, you can get by with some cheap needle files if you're willing to take the time (and burn through a few nut blanks before getting it right.)

Comment

I don't know how you cut the high "E" "B" or even "G" with a needle file. I used to use a small razor saw, like exacto. Needle files are good for bass guitar slots though. I use titebond or even elmers, just 2 small drops from a tooth pick is all i use. If the fit is good, it's all you need. And you do want to be able to remove it in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by mikej View Post
                  Another great source of information is stewmac.com, Dan Erliwine gives a great tutorial on nut making and you can sign up for a free newsletter called Tade Secrets that contains a lot of great imformation. StewMac also sells everthing you need to do the job but you can get a lot invested in a hurry to make that one part. Mikej

YUp it sure is..they got a lot of stuff on there! Im gonna get a crapload of their stuff becaus eof my next project

Comment

Working...
                  X