Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dropped C tuning open C note with annoying harmonic/ring. Please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dropped C tuning open C note with annoying harmonic/ring. Please help!

The string gauge for the string I am having issues with is 52. The harmonic is an issue with all frets but is most noticeable when played open. I can mask the harmonic by changing the tone nob on the guitar but then I have to use a sound I dont want for some songs. Note the ringing harmonic sound that plays along with the open note. My boss chromatic tuner can't even get a good c note reading because of this ring. The only way I can tune it correctly is if I strike the string with my thumb which doesn't play the harmonic sound whereas when striking the string with the pick it does.

Please refer to the youtube link below for a demonstration of the problem. Anything you can possibly think of that may contribute to an OPEN note played with the harmonic problem please reply. Please dont refer to any fret buzz problems.

YouTube - Guitar harmonic/ringing on open play string. NEED HELP

Have you tried adjusting the truss rod and/or your bridge at all yet?

Comment

Hi,
      Have you tried to lower the pickups so that they're not too close to the strings?
      The pickups' permanent magnetic field can create fake notes ( this is most noticeable on Fender Strat pickups, but it can happen with other pickups nonetheless ). Most people adjust the pickups as close to the strings as they can, ignoring that this practice can in fact alter the note's envelope ( it usually "rounds" the attack and "kills" some sustain ) and create "fake" notes. ( think it as it's just like someone is lightly touching the string exactly where the pickups' magnets/poles/lugs are ).

It only takes a few seconds, so I'd give this a try, I' d keep the pickups at least 4-5 mm. away at the 6th string and some 3 mm at the 1st string ( measurements taken while pressing the strings at the last fret ).

Or even better, and more simply, lower the pickups ( without unscrewing 'em completely ) as much as you can and see ( ...er....hear ) if the problem's still there or not.

Hope this helps

Best regards

Bob
      Last edited by Robert M. Martinelli; 07-21-2009, 10:33 AM.
      Hoc unum scio: me nihil scire.

Comment

Was this guitar set up to use such heavy strings? You may need to check the bridge saddles to see if the string is touching in more than one spot.

I have a regular customer who had put some string saver saddles on his Tele, and was getting a really annoying buzzy tone on every fret. I had just done a setup on the guitar a week earlier, so I couldn't figure out what he problem was.

I checked the frets and truss rod, and even put new strings on the guitar. Then I remembered one of my basses that had a bad angle over a bridge saddle, and sounded sort of like a sitar or fretless bass on just that one string. Re-filing the saddle fixed that, so I went back to the Tele and put the stock bridge saddles back on, and the funny high pitched buzz was gone!

So I'd say if it's just on that one string, and it's on every note, it's the bridge saddle doing it. I'll assume you tried a new string?
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
        X