No announcement yet.

'73 LP Custom neck pup - low's are muddy when pushed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DocBlues, I'd suggest swapping out the neck pickup for another with a vintage low-wind of about 4 to 6 K Ohms. This may seem low bu you'll be surprised by how loud they are still. Nearly any brand will sound MUCH better than that current one. If you have another electric, drop the bad boy into the bridge position.

BTW, I went through the same thing a couple months ago, but the neck pickup was only 11K. I found a used Fender humbucker (don't laugh) and it sounds awesome and plays well with a SD George Lynch of around 10K Ohms. A single coil tap works great for clean blues too.

If you love your Gibson's current humbucker then work to get a great match for it. Call the Gibson factory even!

I just looked at the SD and Gibson sites but can't find one that modest.

BTW, you can measure you pickup by putting any old meter (on ohms) across the guitar cable with your guitar knobs on 10. Switch you LP to whichever PUP you want to measure. You can compare other guitars too and get an idea of how Overwound vs Vintage sounds and feels.
    Last edited by Guitarist; 10-23-2009, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarist View Post
      I found a used Fender humbucker (don't laugh) and it sounds awesome and plays well with a SD George Lynch of around 10K Ohms.
      I've got a bunch of those Fender humbuckers. I acquired them when people upgraded their pickups.

I have one in my Charvel at the bridge, and it sounds pretty good, if not a little barky.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
      X