Japanese 89 Strat, want new pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese 89 Strat, want new pickups

1) I have an '89 Japanese Strat and it has the stock pickups in it still, but i'm not sure what kind those are. Anyone know what are they?

2) I wanna replace some, if not all of the pickups, and i have an idea of the sound im looking for...
    I want it to be a mix between a david gilmour sound and a john frusciante sound, but im not sure which pickups to get, or where to put them (neck, middle, bridge). I have read that seymour duncan, and texas specials give good classic fat sounds, and i have heard about the david gilmour custom pickups.
    I really enjoy the stock pickup for the bridge on my guitar--with gain and wah it sounds pretty bad ass, so i might keep that there. But what should i get for the middle and neck?

Originally posted by ltibb003 View Post
    1) I have an '89 Japanese Strat and it has the stock pickups in it still, but i'm not sure what kind those are. Anyone know what are they?
    Yeah, they're Japanese Strat pickups. ...hey you asked.
    more importantly- the stock Jap pickups in those tend to have a gentle, blandness about them. They're some of the least tonally interesting pickups I've ever heard. Just about any recent vintage styled Strat pickup will sound better. Texas Specials usually please most players I deal with.

Comment

Haha. thanks. as you can see, i'm a newb when it comes to pickups. i've almost decided what i want, and i posted another thread on it. i wanna get lipsticks, but i'm stuck between GFS and Seymour duncan. I have watched a bunch of different youtube videos of people playing guitars with both kinds and i like them both. I just don't know which kind I would be better off getting. i know the GFS are cheaper, but i dont know if that is because they are inferior to SD, or if just a great deal.

Comment

Working...
      X