Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Between F-spacing and Gibson spacing

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a Jim Root Tele. This is my first tele and I have been playing on a gibson explorer with a kahler for the past 7 years. Needless to say I'm used to a very thin neck and since the kahler has adjustable saddles, very small string spacing (close or smaller than gibson spacing).

I'm curious if theres any way to decrease the string spacing on a tele. Whether using different saddles or a whole new bridge. I feel like I could only make a small change, since the string holes are routed into the guitar. I've been searching and haven't found anything, nor do I know if my saddles are 2 3/32 or 2 1/32 spacing, I would have to guess the latter. The spacing is fine at the nut, but it just fans out and makes playing anywhere past the 7th fret difficult.

There's no good news for you. The only bridge I can think of that will adjust to the spacing you'd like is this:
    Chrome Non-Tremolo Bridge | Allparts.com
    You could try notching your tele saddles to a narrower spacing, or going with the "threaded" type barrels, but That may cause tuning problems. Ultimately, if you're used to narrower than old Gibson spacing, you're going to have to switch or fight. You may have just found out the hard way that you're just not a Fender guy. You could have a Tele custom made with a narrow neck/string spacing.

Comment

Don't be such a pussy and just man up and play it. You'll adapt and it will cost you nothing. And you will have expanded your musical horizons. Now won't that make you a better person too?

Happy to Help

Charlie

Comment

I have to say, I have several guitars with the spacing slightly different, and I don't notice it at all. You'll get used to it.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
        X