Pick-up Options for a Fanned-Fret 7-String

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick-up Options for a Fanned-Fret 7-String

I'm in the home stretch of my time here in Afghanistan and the plan is that I'll be able to actually start the ergonomic build I started planning over two years ago. Basically, it will be a solid-body version of the Saul Koll RE/7F and I'm at that point where I need to think about the pick-ups. Last time I looked into this, EMG 40HZ's were decent enough, but what other options are there? At this point, I'll mostly be playing Finger-style Blues and I'm looking at either a 28-5/8" to 25-1/2" or 28" to 25" fan.

At the lost cost end, EMG Select SEJ's would fit, and a set would cost about 1/2 of a single 40HZ, but would they be any good?

A touch more than the 40HZ would be EMG 40TW's, but I remember folks saying that the EMG passive bass pick-ups were better suited for an extended range guitar than the EMG active bass pick-ups.

Then I could get seven of Paul "Ubertar" Rubenstein's single string pick-ups, but that would be too much of a temptation to stray away from my intended "KIASAPS" (Keep It As Simple As Possible, Stupid) build.

At the top of the "stock" tuners that I know of are the Q-Tuners BL-5's or BS. The BL-5's should definitely work, but they're about $100 a piece more than 40HZ's (shipping ain't cheap). No real clue about the BS's.

What about custom winds? I'm hard pressed to see this option as being "reasonable" for this build. I'm sure the cost would be reasonable for what I get, but just too much for this build. Anybody know of somebody who would wind two or four custom bobbins for a reasonable price? With some help on the design (coil height, thickness, etc.) I can take care of the physical structure of the pick-up(s) but not the winding.

Ray

Thought I could edit the post, but I guess not. An update:

EMG 808's have received decent reviews and are in the same price point as the 40TW's. The downside is that (I'm pretty sure) these are two lead pick-ups, so you'd need two to get any variety of sounds outside of EQ.

David Schwab (here and at: SGD Music Products) makes semi-custom extended range guitar pick-ups. Price-point-wise, they're between the EMG HZ's and the 808/40TW's; however, the recording of these sound good. Wired-up in parallel, the two coils sound very Strat-ish and in series, you've got your typical lush humbucker sound.

Ray

Comment

Working...
    X