"Aging" Chrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Aging" Chrome

I have a early 90s ES-335, that when purchased (used), had the original ABR-1 bridge replaced with some type of after market Nashville type. The dealer I got the guitar from ordered me an ABR-1 from Gibson, but the one they sent was a chrome version. I didnt really notice it at the time, the guitar was still new enough the nickel parts, i.e., the pickup covers and stop tailpiece were fairly shiny. Now, almost 14 years later it's quite obvious, the covers and tailpiece have a nice aged looked, but the bridge is very shiny chrome. Is there any way to get an aged look on a chrome part? I've read that it's just plated chrome on top of nickel, and placing the bridge in muriatic acid will remove the chrome. Anyone have any experience with this? Of course, I could just buy a Nickel bridge, but if it's not too difficult to age the one I've got, maybe I can save the cost of a Gibson replacement.

Thanks!
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
    - Yogi Berra

It worked. I used some of the stuff sold to clean masonry. A few hours soaking and then cleaning up with 2000 grit and it looks now like a slightly aged nickel bridge. Just cosmetic of course, but it does now match the other hardware.
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
    - Yogi Berra

Comment

i have been looking to try to relic the face plate on my resonator but in researching it i was seeing some mixed reviews on the various methods.

did it just strip off the chrome?

was the effect even across the piece?

could you post a pic of the finished product?

Comment

Originally posted by Savoy13 View Post
        i have been looking to try to relic the face plate on my resonator but in researching it i was seeing some mixed reviews on the various methods.

did it just strip off the chrome?

was the effect even across the piece?

could you post a pic of the finished product?
        I cant really tell for sure if it just stripped the chrome off, or dulled it. I left the bridge for several hours in a small Tupperware container and checked it every 15 minutes or so. It didnt look even across the piece, but after I sanded it with the 2000 grit it looks pretty good.
        - Yogi Berra

Comment

Working...
        X