Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• epiphone sg earth buzz?

Hi

Just bought a second hand Epiphone sg copy and it has a disturbing earth type buzz happening. The guitar has a seymour duncan double hummbucker in the bridge and the original epi pickup at the neck. When the 3 way switch is up fully in the bridge position there is no hum or buzz. When the switch is in either the centre position or neck pickup only and the tone pot is open for that pickup i am getting quite a loud buzz.When i touch the strings the buzz disapears which seems to indicate to me ( a newbie) that there is an earth problem either with the neck pickup or the tone pot for that pickup. Should i be replacing the pot to start with? Any advice welcome.

It sounds like the problem pickup might be missing the ground connection to its shielding.

Check the wiring.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

What happens if you touch the metal body of the neck pickup itself?

Your bridge may not be earthed properly either.

As David says, you have to check the wiring.

GuitarElectronics.com Guitar Wiring Diagam w/ 2 Humbuckers/3-Way Toggle Switch/2 Volumes/2 Tones

The S.D. site will have the colour codes for the bridge pickup.

Comment

Thanks for your advice guys. Much appreciated.
        I compared the diagram from Seymour Duncan wiring site and there was no earth wire between the two tone pots, that took away some of the hum. But the big difference was the green and bare wire was going to the lug on the bridge volume pot and the black wire was going to the earth on the bak of the volume pot. Once i changed these two wires over the pickup became silent. It turned out to be the cost of a little solder.

Comment

Working...
        X