Need Help Identify pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Identify pickup

Hi, new here. Have acoustic pickups 14 and 15 ohm about..arched rectangular and shaped like waffles.double rows on each p/u.. bridge purchased with it arched large two saddles that are U shaped adjustment posts wheeled (4) and posts recede into female body which enters guitar body sitting below base of tailpiece. heavy duty.plastic black trim rings with hexagon ends form fitting the chrome covers..seen lot of p/u thought were cheesegraters but saw them not same..info sent me stated were from Kay bass but not sure..have few imports from Japan hobby not player..new here and can post pics..anybody help me. need spring for 1 also if I could find one..maybe use in project hollowbody if I acquire 1..Thanks to all.Dan PS not at home, load pics in few days,Great Info here wish I found site sooner !
    Last edited by Japanese Madness; 12-30-2009, 02:34 AM. Reason: add photos

I can't identify them exactly, but I can tell you they're humbucking-style bass pickups and they're magnetic, not acoustic. The unusual physical configuration reinforces the idea they came from a "Kay" instrument. Those folks made a whole lot of unusual stuff like that, unique to them and never reproduced by anyone else. I'm not sure they're even in business anymore - at least, I haven't seen or heard anything from them in probably 20 years or better. It was a very inexpensive, low-quality line of instruments designed to be flashy and attractive to beginners with stars in their eyes but little money to spend. Most of their stuff was barely playable, and wouldn't even make good firewood.

But, don't take my word for it - I have different standards and tastes. According to this site, some of that old Kay gear commands a decent price on the collector's market.

Comment

Kay Bass Pickups

Well think that confirms it for me...lucky did not pay too much for them and owner was unsure of what he had...bridge is nice and may have machine shop make other saddle thats missing..have it chromed..well thanks...

Comment

Those pickups look Japan made to me. They don't look like anything made in the US by Kay.

Comment

Found out guitar these were on
          Wellson semi hollow bass
          Italy I believe. Saw a catalog with exact pups on 335 copy.
          Command pretty good prices on the market
          As for Welson playability can not comment never had one
          Japenese madness

Comment

Found out guitar these were on
            Welson guitar semi hollow bass 335 copy.
            Italy perhaps
            Japanese Madness

Comment

Working...
            X