Evans Eliminator Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evans Eliminator Wiring

I found an Evans Eliminator PU in a box of spare parts that I'm planing on using in a custom strat I'm having built. Seems I have lost the little harness that came with it. The problem is there are 3 pins one is red ( positive? ) but which of the other 2 are correct. Is this a coil tap? I am putting it at Bridge position with hopes of it kicking into a nice boost on leads. The other 2 PU's are el-chepo no name for now. Will upgrade in future. I looked on thier site and cannot find this info, anyone have insite?

The Eliminator has two RWRP coils inside the cover, installed in yin/yang fashion, that are presumably in series with each other. So there will be a connection at their halfway junction. Whether that connection comprises one of the 3 connector pins I can't say. It is possible the three pins are the in and out of the combined coils, and a third for a noncommittal ground lead.

One thing to try is to measure the DC resistance with a meter between each of the 3 pins. If one of the pins measures half the resistance of the value between the other two, then it represents the halfway point between the two coils, such that the three contacts represent the ends and midpoint of the two coils.

There is a reasonable basis to expect either of these two schemes. Although coil-tapping makes no sense in this particular context, since, unlike a PAF pickup only three of the strings would be sensed by omitting one coil. More likely is the possibility that it gives the user the option of running the two RWRP coils in series or in parallel.

Comment

found answer

Thanks for reply. I ended up e mailing Evans and they replied within an hour as follows. Seems like excellent folks there.

The pin next to the red dot is the output (hot). The pin next to it is only for support, no connection. The third pin is the ground connection. Because you have no harness just solder right to the pins (use heat sinks) OR you can probably find a connector that will work at an electronics shop.

See also: Evans FAQ
      and

Configure Your Evans Pickups

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Gil
      Last edited by David Schwab; 02-12-2010, 12:13 PM. Reason: fixed hyperlink

Comment

Working...
      X