Adjacent pickups; interaction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjacent pickups; interaction?

Got a humbucker route and want to to put in a DiMarzio Area 67 and another to-be-determined pickup (suggestion, Tele perhaps?) right next to one another. Might the magnets interact and screw things up somehow?

I can't say for sure about those particular pickups (especially since one is undetermined)... But I have put two humbuckers as close together as the plastic mount rings would allow and no problems so far. Take a look see at Steve Morse's Tele that he played with the Dixie Dregs. Pickups just rowed right up next to each other, singles and humbuckers, all the way from the bridge saddles to the fingerboard. He seems to do all right with it.

Cheers

Chuck
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I've done a few informal experiments with that sort of thing, I haven't found any reason to think there is a problem. I suppose it is possible for certain pickups if they had magnets mounted on the sides or something strange, but I doubt it.

Any changes that might occur would be from excessive string pull (probably not an issue if you adjust them correctly) or if you wire them up strangely. Sometimes people do weird things trying to squeeze an extra pickup position onto a switch or something.

Comment

Some people say that ceramic pickups shall not be in installed with AlNiCo pickups in the same guitar because the ceramic weaken AlNiCo.
        I have never seen this happen but I can't say for sure it doesn't happen, I don't know everything.

Someone has experienced it?

Comment

Originally posted by Artur pickupmaker View Post
          Some people say that ceramic pickups shall not be in installed with AlNiCo pickups in the same guitar because the ceramic weaken AlNiCo.
          I have never seen this happen but I can't say for sure it doesn't happen, I don't know everything.

Someone has experienced it?
          Wont happen.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

That's what I thogh.

A big brazilian pickup maker convinced his customers that the ceramics slowly discharges AlNiCos if were installed in the same guitar, and it is only noticed after many years. He says everyone not to put ceramics and AlNiCos in the same guitar.
            Just funny.

Comment

Here's our test bed:

My rants, products, services and incoherent babblings on my blog.

Comment

Working...
              X