Guitar Volume Pot For Swell Effect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Volume Pot For Swell Effect?

Would anyone like to offer some advice or their experiences with different guitar volume pots that have the best characteristics for doing "pinkie finger volume swells" ala Roy Buchanan or Jeff Beck? I'm looking for types of pots, manufacturers and where to get them.

TIA

Any audio taper that borders on linear like a bournes or alpha seem to work well. There is a japanese brand whose name eludes me at the moment, as well. Most CTS batches tend to have all the volume at the last 10% of the control and people who do the swells don't seem to like that. They seem to prefer linear over audio in those cases. You'll find that these vary from batch to batch, though it seems to take some time before the changes in batches become evident.

If ease of turning is ever an issue, bear in mind that most traditional style pots can be taken apart to be smoothed out/lubed up. I've done this a few times to great success.

Comment

great idea for wiper arm and wiper;WD40,wont hurt any thing electrical.unplug system first.spray and alternate wiper blade untill smooth action.
      temp fix.

Comment

This web-article provides useful and clear information about how to modify the pot taper so that it responds the way you need it to.

The Secret Life of Pots

Comment

Originally posted by earache View Post
          ...ala Roy Buchanan or Jeff Beck?
          I'm quite sure they just used what the guitar came with. It's more about technique than hardware.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Hardware vs Technique

No doubt, the guys who use the volume swell have more talent in their..um (wait for it)...pinkie fingers...than I do, but their pinkies can't be much different in length than mine. The action of a volume swell would have to take place within the amount that a volume knob can be turned easily by one's little finger and still play the notes, right? I am assuming that a lot of the volume control must be in the last third of a turn for the swell to be effective.

Comment

It's not that hard if you practice it enough. Don't use your pinky, use all the fingers that aren't holding the pick. Keep them on the knob as you pick. When you pick the note with a down stroke, keep moving your hand and turn the knob.

Have you tried a volume pedal? That really frees up you right hand to play while you do the swells.
              Last edited by David Schwab; 03-10-2010, 07:26 PM.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I don't have a volume pedal, but I'll try the technique you describe, Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X