bass roll-off mod for Strat tone control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bass roll-off mod for Strat tone control

I was told this adds a capacitor and some rewiring is done.The G&L 500 electric guitar has this feature I was told.If anyone knows where I can get a schematic for the G&L 500 or other information on this mod? thanks, Mark

I don't have a/the schematic, but in principle it is simply a matter of providing a variable bypass for bass content.

If there is a small-ish value cap between the tone pot and input to the volume pot, then only higher frequencies will be able to pass through easily. If you stick a variable resistance (pot) and a MUCH larger value of cap in parallel with that small cap, then you can adjust how easily lower frequency content (and indeed the entire spectrum) can sidestep that small-value cap. Of course, once you've turned that pot down to a zero-ohm resistance, it is as if the two cap are now in parallel and virtually everything, except for DC, can pass through to the volume pot. In effect, it is not a bass cut control. Rather, there is default bass-cut, and that added control becomes an add-it-back- control.

I'm not guaranteeing these values, but let's start with a 500k bass rolloff pot. Make the default small cap, say, .022uf, and make the one in series with the pot .47uf.

Note that roilling off the lows will not interact with the volume pot or Tonepot but WILL impact on overall signal level.

Comment

Here you go...

I got this from G&L's web site
      Attached Files
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
      X