Jazzmaster Restoration Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jazzmaster Restoration Project

Quick question ~ Anyone here deal with Parts is Parts? I need several items for a Jazzmaster guitar repair and PiP seems to have everything I need. I've called their numbers, but no one answers... which makes me wary.

Lemme know!

I ordered some parts from them a few times years ago with varied turnaround times. Maybe you should try Guitar Parts Resource. They have plenty of Jazzmaster parts and I've always had good experiences with them.

Comment

Be sure to get the American bridge, the imports create a high lateral string angle that causes the higher strings to want to jump off the bridge. Constant head ache.

Comment

Still no answer from PIP... will try email on some questions I have.

In regards to the Jazzmaster bridge - This is a Japanese "vintage" model. I'm considering a Mastery or a Fender Mustang bridge. Is there anyone who feels the Mastery is head-and-sholders above the Fender Mustang option?

In regards to the bridge by-pass switch - Anyone consider using a toggle (SPDT) instead of a slider switch?

In regards to the pickups - I'm thinking of leaving the stock pickups alone and replacing the pots with 500k (currently uses 1 Meg) and using a .047 capacitor in the bridge while a .022 for the neck. Any thoughts on this?

Many thanks in advance.

Originally posted by ReginaldBisquet View Post
        Quick question ~ Anyone here deal with Parts is Parts? I need several items for a Jazzmaster guitar repair and PiP seems to have everything I need. I've called their numbers, but no one answers... which makes me wary.

Lemme know!

Comment

Mustang bridges aren't adjustable for individual string height. That may not be an issue, but that's not how a real Jazzmaster bridge is.

Are they even the same width? I have a '59 Jazzmaster and a '72 Mustang, but I haven't compared the bridges to see if they drop into the thimbles.

GuitarPartsResource has all the parts.

Guitar Parts Resource:: Jaguar/Jazzmaster Bridges
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I've heard good things about the Mastery bridge but I doubt I'll ever try one due to the price. I actually like the stock bridge when using flatwound strings, but switch to the Mustang when using roundwounds, and have never had problems as long as the neck is shimmed.

By "bridge bypass switch" do you mean the slide switch to select between the rhythm and lead circuits? I'd personally keep it a slide switch just because I'd probably accidently knock it if it were a toggle switch, but it might work better for you as a toggle.

Are you adding pots in? Because stock the lead circuit (both neck and bridge pickups) uses 1M audio volume and 1M linear tone pots with a .03uF tone capacitor while the rhythm circuit (neck only) uses 1M audio volume and 50K linear tone pots with a .02uF tone capacitor.

I like the stock setup. If anything, I'd replace the pickups in a Japanese Jazzmaster and replace the pots with CTS pots in stock values. Curtis Novak winds great Jazzmaster pickups.

Comment

In regards to the bridge by-pass switch - Anyone consider using a toggle (SPDT) instead of a slider switch?
              That's not a bridge bypass switch... I'm assuming you think it switches to the bridge pickup?

It switches between the regular toggle switch, and the neck pickup with the roller tone and volume controls.

http://www.fender.com/support/diagra...100800APg2.pdf

http://www.fender.com/support/diagra...100800APg4.pdf

The second PDF has the slide switch functions labeled wrong. Unless Fender changed it from the originals.

You could use a toggle switch, but the slide switches are easy to get.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                That's not a bridge bypass switch... I'm assuming you think it switches to the bridge pickup?

It switches between the regular toggle switch, and the neck pickup with the roller tone and volume controls.
                Hmmmm. I assumed it was some kind of bridge pickup tone controlling circuit... but really didn't know what effect it would have as I've never used one of these things before. Many thanks for the pdf links... I'm looking forward to getting this guitar up and running just to hear what the all the fuss is about.

I called Fender USA (480-596-7195) about the Jazzmaster bridge and they recommended the Mastery bridge... which was surprising. The guy mentioned the Mastery is good for rock players while the standard JM bridge or even the Mustang replacement is fine for lighter playing.

Then I called Warmoth and the tech there was great! He said that JMs are the plague of guitars. Ha ha... fairly strong opinion! When I asked about the bridge, he said most people will buy either the Mastery or a modified Mustang bridge. The cost difference is ~ $120 more for the Mastery and he says most people seem fine with the Mustang bridge and a set of heavier gauge string.

In light of all this, I'm going to do the following:

Mustang Modified Bridge
                Replace rhythm switch thing
                Replace string tree (why not?!)
                Replace input jack
                .011 strings

This puts the guitar back into workable order and we can see if it really needs the Mastery bridge or simply needs to be chucked back into the river. Total cost is under $100.

Comment

Hmmmm. I assumed it was some kind of bridge pickup tone controlling circuit...
                  Neck pickup. This is a jazz guitar. That's the "rhythm" preset. When you switch the switch up you get only the neck pickup and the volume and tone wheels. They only control the neck pickup in that preset.

When you switch the switch down, you get the regular pickup selector switch and volume and tone.

So you get to preset a neck pickup tone and switch between that and the regular controls.

Comment

Then I called Warmoth and the tech there was great! He said that JMs are the plague of guitars. Ha ha... fairly strong opinion!
                    Ha! Love them or hate them I guess. Ever since I started playing Jaguars and Jazzmasters, I've never looked back. Any other guitar seems somewhat awkward to me.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                      Mustang bridges aren't adjustable for individual string height. That may not be an issue, but that's not how a real Jazzmaster bridge is.

Are they even the same width? I have a '59 Jazzmaster and a '72 Mustang, but I haven't compared the bridges to see if they drop into the thimbles.

GuitarPartsResource has all the parts.

Guitar Parts Resource:: Jaguar/Jazzmaster Bridges
                      Finished the restoration project using materials from AllParts. Used a "Modified Mustang Bridge" for the bridge on this thing:

Photo was taken before I finished the intonation and set up of the bridge. The high and low E strings do not align directly over the bridge pickup pole pieces, but they do on the neck pickup. Gave it a good workout yesterday and didn't have any problems with strings jumping or sustain. I kept the bridge as a floating bridge (no masking tape around posts). Really nice rockin' machine!

Comment

The high and low E strings do not align directly over the bridge pickup pole pieces, but they do on the neck pickup. Gave it a good workout yesterday and didn't have any problems with strings jumping or sustain.
                        The mustangs are a bit narrower, plus the Jazzmaster had the threads in the saddles so you can adjust the string spacing.

I kept the bridge as a floating bridge (no masking tape around posts). Really nice rockin' machine!
                        Yeah, it's supposed to move when you use the vibrato.

It came out great!

Comment

I meant to say that I picked up the parts for this project from Warmoth... not AllParts.

Took the guitar back tot he owner last night and he was very pleased. Then he started bashing away at it and creating all kinds of ruckus while also messing with the tuning.

Sigh... kids.

Comment

Working...
                          X