Installing new tele bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing new tele bridge

Hi there. I recently bought a replacement bridge for my custom tele, and i have an installation question. The pickup cavity was routed to accomodate standard single coil or humbucker. However, my new bridge is not quite long enough to cover the gap. It is about 2-3mm short. Should this be a problem? My concern is that the bridge not being flat on the body I may lose tone.

why would the bridge not sit flat on the body because of a gap from a longer pickup route? do you mean you're concerned about coupling between the guitar body and the bridge?

people have different opinions on the tone they want from their tele bridges-- some like thinner more resonant material and want the bridge plate to actively contribute to the tone, even to the point that magnetized bridge plates are used to widen the pickup pattern. others want a stiffer bridge. it seems to me that yes, you'll hear a tonal difference between a bridge that's well coupled to the body of the guitar, and one that has more air gap beneath it-- but there is always air in the cavity under the bridge. neither difference will be good or bad, but a matter of preference.

if you're going for more transference between the body, and the bridge, one option would be to glue a small amount of new wood into the pickup cavity to fill the gap. you could even install the bridge as-is, listen to it, then try adding the new wood, and see if you hear a difference. it will probably be negligible.

Comment

Without actually seeing what's going on, it's difficult for me to fully understand the question, but I think I'd be more concerned about the notion that microphonics can develop when a Tele bridge isn't well seated or generally lying flat over the body.

Comment

Working...
      X