Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need help taming a P-94 pickup (squealing)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help taming a P-94 pickup (squealing)

This may just be a fact of life with this pickup, and it serves me right for not trying before I buy. I play fairly high gain, but not all-preamp mesa5150 gain. More like non-master volume marshall turned all the way up. Anyway, I can't get it even close to the volume and gain I want without uncontrollable microphonic feedback. The same settings work just fine on a gibson with humbuckers. Is there a way to tame this thing? or should I go for a humbucker? I really like the sound of it at lower volumes when it isn't feeding back. Are there any wiring tricks I can try? Right now this is the only pickup in the guitar with 500K audio pots and a mallory tone cap (forget the value), but I hate using the tone knob.

other notes. I removed the cover and put it back on (without soldering back on). I just removed the cover again and it seemed to help a little. Is there a chance that the wax potting got messed up? You can hear every tap you make on the guitar through the amp. Could the way that it is mounted have an effect. I had to do some routing to make a standard humbucker sized pickup fit.

Comment

Hmmm

I've installed a few of these over the years and haven't had any problems.

Definitely a lot of noise problems with lots of gain, but nothing like you are describing... if you pulled the cover, did you use a lot of heat??? you may have inadvertently melted the wax out of it! (taking off gibson pickup covers can be tricky, since they act as a big heat sink. a big gun type soldering iron can do a LOT of damage!)

Comment

Originally posted by axpro View Post
        Hmmm

I've installed a few of these over the years and haven't had any problems.

Definitely a lot of noise problems with lots of gain, but nothing like you are describing... if you pulled the cover, did you use a lot of heat??? you may have inadvertently melted the wax out of it! (taking off gibson pickup covers can be tricky, since they act as a big heat sink. a big gun type soldering iron can do a LOT of damage!)

I actually fixed the problem. The pickup was deeper than the previous one and was resting on the wood. It also fit very tight with the brass pickup ring. I solved it by wrapping teflon tape around the pickup and under it so it didn't rest directly on to the maple. Now it acts just like a p90/p94 should. definitely the right choice.

Comment

Working...
        X