Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pickup selector switch with extra long threaded bushing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup selector switch with extra long threaded bushing?

I'm trying to find a replacement two pickup selctor switch for to go in a Hamer Explorer. It needs an extra long threaded bushing because it goes through some wood, not just a pickgaurd. The one I picked up a while back, which I think is just a standard switchcraft one, only sticks through by half a thread. Anyone know what will work and possibly where to get them? All the ones I've found online that give dimensions are the same as the one I have.

3 Way PU Selector Switch

Try this site.
    The largest height that I saw was 11/32".
    Link:
    Switches

Comment

11/32 is what I have and unfortunately it's too short. The old one is more like 7/16 or even 15/32.

It's still covered by a pickguard so If it were my guitar, I'd drill out the wood and put in a regular switch, but it's not my guitar. I borrowed it for an extended period and promised that I'd fix a couple issues with it while I had it, not realizing that this one would be a conundrum.

Comment

I assume you are referring to a Gibson style toggle switch. I can't remember for sure, but I think I went through this same issue and ended up using a switch from Stewart-MacDonald. if memory serves you can find them at stew-mac.com

Comment

You need the deep toggle switch nut like those that came on old Gibsons:
          Deep Toggle Nut, Nickel | Allparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by Groover View Post
            I assume you are referring to a Gibson style toggle switch. I can't remember for sure, but I think I went through this same issue and ended up using a switch from Stewart-MacDonald. if memory serves you can find them at stew-mac.com
            I'm looking at the Stewart Mac site and only seeing ones with a 5/16 shaft. I thought if anyone would have them it would be them.

Originally posted by Sweetfinger View Post
            You need the deep toggle switch nut like those that came on old Gibsons:
            Deep Toggle Nut, Nickel | Allparts.com
            Ah. Thanks for that tip. I would probably have to drill out the pick guard fo that to work but that's probably better than drilling out the wood.

FWIW, the one that's in there now is one of those cheapo ones where the contacts are in a closed box with a piece of fiberglass on the bottom with the solder leads sticking out. It looks a lot like the one that came on my 10 year old Dearmond, which also busted. I've seen those a few places online, can't seem to dig one up now, but I think they also were saying they only had a 5/16" threaded shaft. Maybe they're a little longer in reality?

Comment

Originally posted by Ptron View Post
              FWIW, the one that's in there now is one of those cheapo ones where the contacts are in a closed box with a piece of fiberglass on the bottom with the solder leads sticking out. It looks a lot like the one that came on my 10 year old Dearmond, which also busted. I've seen those a few places online, can't seem to dig one up now, but I think they also were saying they only had a 5/16" threaded shaft. Maybe they're a little longer in reality?
              You can find them here, and they seem to have a long threaded shaft.

Guitar Parts Resource* ::*Toggle Switches

Box Type 3 Way Toggle Switch

Gibson Les Paul® Style Switch

They aren't really cheapo, just enclosed, which isn't a bad thing.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Ah, yes thanks. I found them all over the place when I first looked but when I went back... Anyway, I saw something somewhere that made me think the shaft could be too short but they sure look like the same ones, so unless they changed the design sonewhere along the way they should work. But enough futzing around. Time to oder one and see. I'll get the deep nut too just to cover my bases.

Comment

I happen to have a Fender Jazz Bass Special here and it has one of those enclosed switches. The threaded shaft is 0.424" (10.77mm) long. That's a little under 7/16".
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                  www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Thanks David. That was the one. Got it and it worked great. Didn't even have to use the deep nut.

Comment

Working...
                    X