Problems w/ Gibson P-94

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems w/ Gibson P-94

I tried to put a P-94 in the bridge of my Jaguar HH. Had some real issues, probably not a good choice for my first ever pup changeover. There is a lot of wiring in that thing. Gave up and put the dragster back in and it's all good now.

Then decided it was wiser to put the P-94 in the bridge of an old junker Epiphone that had two hummers in it. It works, but sounds super thin especially compared to the original neck humbucker and I can't get any real volume out of it. Thinking I was taking the cover off I removed the two screws on the back of the P-94, then put them back in. What did I do? Did I ruin this pickup due to ignorance or is it another problem? The Epi has separate tone/volume for each pickup and a three-way switch. Pretty simple, but I can't figure the volume/punch issue. Anyone know what's going on? Jonesing to hear this pickup in action...

Originally posted by claytrell View Post
    I tried to put a P-94 in the bridge of my Jaguar HH. Had some real issues, probably not a good choice for my first ever pup changeover. There is a lot of wiring in that thing. Gave up and put the dragster back in and it's all good now.

Then decided it was wiser to put the P-94 in the bridge of an old junker Epiphone that had two hummers in it. It works, but sounds super thin especially compared to the original neck humbucker and I can't get any real volume out of it. Thinking I was taking the cover off I removed the two screws on the back of the P-94, then put them back in. What did I do? Did I ruin this pickup due to ignorance or is it another problem? The Epi has separate tone/volume for each pickup and a three-way switch. Pretty simple, but I can't figure the volume/punch issue. Anyone know what's going on? Jonesing to hear this pickup in action...
    The P-94 is Gibson putting a P90 in a humbucker frame- right? P90 pickups are nowhere near as loud as a modern high output humbucker. I wouldn't consider them to be thin but they might be compared to a muddy high output Epiphone humbucker... I have no idea about the screws. You might want to have a guitar tech at your local music emporium take a really quick look at it (a good reason to not do all of your music purchases on the internet).

Good luck!

Steve Ahola

P.S. So how many leads did the Dragster have?
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

looks like a short-circuit.

Comment

Don't believe it's a short, but possible. The epi is ancient and the 3 way switch does have issues, but the pickup does play clean, just very low energy compared to other humbucker or a P-90 in a LP jr. The dragster has two leads, the P-94 has three. I tried both black and white as the Gibson wiring specs say.

Comment

Working...
        X