Strange Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Problem

I recently bought an Ibanez Artstar AS-80 (335 Clone) that the previous owner had installed Gibson '57 Classics and new electronics. Everything sound GREAT with the vol on 10, but turn it down even a little and it's like the tone knob is being used (not the typical HB lower vol mud) and with the vol set at 3 the tone knob has no effect (no highs). What could they have done to get it like that?

Also the pickups are independent with both engaged (one can be at 0 and still have sound)

I really don't like the idea of going into a 335!!

Maybe the volume pot ground lug isn't connected?

Comment

Originally posted by drewfx View Post
      Maybe the volume pot ground lug isn't connected?
      I'm going in today and find out. I have pulled the bridge vol pot out through the F hole and noticed that the pickup is not directly connected to it, so something is screwed up. I'm going to rewire 50's style

Comment

Originally posted by rodb View Post
        I'm going in today and find out. I have pulled the bridge vol pot out through the F hole and noticed that the pickup is not directly connected to it, so something is screwed up. I'm going to rewire 50's style
        Three hours of work later it now works great!! For some strange reason the pickups were wired to the tone pot and there were a few extra wires!?!

I've had my fill of re-wiring a 335

Comment

Congratulations.

I get a few F-Hole projects that have gone wrong. Customer comes in with a look of defeat and the stench of fail. But you have prevailed and made yourself master of that guitar! Good job.

At first I was suspecting that something had shorted out when the controls were stuffed back in there. That's the usual failure mode. Sounds like that one was simply confused.
          My rants, products, services and incoherent babblings on my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronsonic View Post
            Congratulations.

I get a few F-Hole projects that have gone wrong. Customer comes in with a look of defeat and the stench of fail. But you have prevailed and made yourself master of that guitar! Good job.

At first I was suspecting that something had shorted out when the controls were stuffed back in there. That's the usual failure mode. Sounds like that one was simply confused.
            Thanks!! It wasn't easy

It was so screwed up in there, I just re-wired from scratch. The pickups went to the tone pots, then more wires from there to the vol pots!?! wtf!! Also there was no ground wires between any of the pots. I'm surprised it even sounded good before the re-wire.

Comment

Working...
            X