Pickup strangeness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup strangeness

I'm having an issue that isn't too bad, but just annoying. I've wound 2 pickups that work great individually. When I put the switch to both pickups active, and if I have both volume controls to max volume it seems to drop out volume and sounds like dirt. If I roll back the volume on one pickup, doesn't matter which, you can hear both pickups just fine and they sound good. Could this be a pot issue? maybe my pickups are canceling each other out? I'm just confounded by this issue.

Configuration is 2 vol / 2 tone / 3 way switch. Wired as a Les Paul would be.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Your pickups are probably out of phase with each other. Try swapping the hot/ground on one of them

Comment

Thanks a ton Peter!
      I think that solved my both selected pickup issue. Now they sound great all wide open and individually. But something did get goofy, all I did was swap the hot and ground on the pickup and now, the lowest volume know is the one that works both pickups when both are selected, in other words both pickups seem to be operating volume off the lowest volume knob. This I really don't care too much about, but it is annoying. I followed the diagram for wiring a 2 pickup les paul on the stew mac site and I verified that I had everything as expected. But I'm assuming I have something wrong..... any guesses at what I could have wrong?

Comment

Hi,

That's normal for a Les Paul in the middle position - there's a simple way way around it you might like to try (you could always put it back to "stock").:

3 way switch in middle, turn one volume down, BOTH pup outputs go down. Wanna know why? - Epiphone Electrics - Epiphone Forums

Comment

Thanks a ton Puppet!

I didn't realize that was that was "normal" I thought I had some crazy grounding deal going on. I've been searching for hours and not getting anything of use, less the actual solution to my problem. That solved my only other issue, now I have my bass perfect! Thanks a again!

Comment

Working...
          X