Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HB - PearlyGates, JB or JB jr. ?

Hi... haven't been here in along time... sorta missed this place

I've decided to replace the bridge PU on my Strat (new American series) to a humbucker type, but I'm not sure which one exactly. I've narrowed it down to these three (all Seymour Duncan pickups):
    Pearly Gates
    JB
    JB Junior

Thing is, I can't really tell what it'll sound like in advance and I was hoping to get some feedback from those who did replace their Strat's bridge PU with one of these humbuckers. My tonal direction is mainly rock and blues and I guess that in the FAT tone department I aim at somewhere between the Black Crowes and Gov't Mule. So... which one will suit me best?

Also two more related questions:
    Will I need to change my Volume and/or Tone potentiometer to higher values (same questions for the tone cap) ?
    Will my No-Load tone control still function as usual?

Thank you for taking the time to help

Dan

The JB Junior is a good choice if you don't want to get a new pickguard. I think the single coil sized humbuckers have a nice sound but not as chunky as a full sized pickup. I love the sound of my Carvin twinblade Humbucker (single coil size). Another consideration is if you want a tapped mode. The Strat sized Humbuckers seem to be pretty thin, but if you put the coils in parallel they sound great. Seymour Duncan lets you trade in your pickup within 30 days if you want a different one.

Comment

HB Pups JB Jr Gates

I love my old JB,but it is now 25 years old and only at 7.8 ohms Low gain pups into high gain amp sounds best,unless you are into super hard death metal buzzsaw sound Get the single coaxal wire.Most guys who really play all the time have a few extra pups in the drawer and change them around No pup has a"sound" The secret is the Transfer Characteristic. Resonant Frequencand its Peak. 2000 hz, is warm. 3000hz bright I an not a expert,But don't let some salesman tell you that if you buy this kind of pup,you will sound like Santana,or EVH

Comment

Originally posted by dumbassbob View Post
        I love my old JB,but it is now 25 years old and only at 7.8 ohms Low gain pups into high gain amp sounds best...
        When was the JB 7.8 K? They are 16.4 K. It was always an overwound bridge pickup... it was the original pickup Duncan rewound for Jeff Beck. The JB's resonant peak is at 5.5KHz.

The Jazz Model bridge pickup is 7.9K. The Jazz's resonant peak is 7.9 KHz.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

7.8 JB Pup

I do not remember how many Ohms it was, I have potted it with wax. It would short out when I sweat.Just like EVH #1 pup not having any reading,I may have broken a wire inside from string catching the ends of bobbin.All I know is that it still works,and sound really good ,like a old PAF. 16 ohms is too bright for me.That high I would go EMG.

Comment

Originally posted by dumbassbob View Post
            I do not remember how many Ohms it was, I have potted it with wax. It would short out when I sweat. Just like EVH #1 pup not having any reading,I may have broken a wire inside from string catching the ends of bobbin.All I know is that it still works,and sound really good , like a old PAF. 16 ohms is too bright for me.That high I would go EMG.
            it's not 16 Ohms, it's 16 k Ohm, that's 16,000 Ohms. That many turns wont give you a bright pickup. The more wire you wind the less high end and more bottom and mids. The JB is a loud pickup. You must have had a Jazz if it sounded like a PAF.

EMG's are not wound that high either.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
            X