Different tone pot values?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different tone pot values?

I understand that for volume controls the pot value determines the amount of treble bleed to ground but what's the difference between different pot values when used as tone controls?

This is a very complex topic - the resonant system created by the pickup/s, control values, cable and amp is interactive, they all play a part in what we hear. Then add in the infinite variability of of the control settings.
    Whatever the answer given, it will be incorrect in some cases or interpretations.
    Have you searched, this forum and net in general, there have been some long detailed threads covering this here?
    A quick answer is that lower tone pot values will load the pickups more, in the same way that lower volume pot values do. So they will reduce the resonant peak, and sound less trebley.
    My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

My searches have been rather fruitless, mostly yielding threads that only seem to touch on the surface of the subject. I did however find a link to Terry Downs site which had a good article with nice freqency graphs which made me understand the effects of capacitance and resonant peaks a whole lot better than before.
      I'm struggling right now with understanding the effects of resistance in guitar circuits at a modular level.
      Your answer strikes me as correct when I relate to early Van Halen records, Eddie had a guitar circuit consisting of only one volume control and his tone had a clear cut to it despite using an overwound PAF-type pickup.
      I also hear what you are saying about the complexity of the subject, language is a problem.
      I take it though from your reply that the cut-off point of the treble cut isn't arbitrary and gets shifted the along with the resonant peak by dictated by total capacitance.
      Furthermore should I assume that If one missmatched volume and tone control values ie 300k tone and 500k volume it wouldnt matter which ended up as which as the resistance would add up all the same?

Comment

I take it now that I can either dial down a tone knob or solder a resistor to outer lugs of volume pots or tone pots at my conveniance to tune the height of the resonant peak. Hot diggity!

It struck me that with non master controls you get some nice tone shaping options at you disposal. For instance in a standard Les Paul you can tune the high-cut and the resosnat peak for for each pickup independently. I've got some interesting evenings ahead of me consisting of capacitors, resistors and alligator clips.
        Last edited by RoadToNever; 07-31-2010, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X